Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Sound Byte

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cartooncutie

cartooncutie

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:28 AM

i mute the sound on my laptop (windows xp) a lot so i'm not sure how long i've had this problem, but its probably been about 4 months: every now and then, maybe once a week a clip of shania twain's "gonna getcha" plays for about 30 seconds. i don't have this song on my computer. there's no pop ups, no blue screen of death. life goes on as usual after the sound. ad-aware and pc tools antivirus have not solved this problem. what the heck is this? will a simple system restore fix the problem?

Edited by cartooncutie, 12 March 2006 - 01:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:42 AM

Hi, cartooncutie

It 'sounds' like a WMP issue. (plz pardon the pun)
The title of the songs makes me think it also might be a"prank'.
Meaning malware. Some of that is written strictly for "fun".

To be on the safe side in advising you, a HJT log should be posted.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ is the forum for that.
Please read carefully and click the links to read the necessary information.
Follow the advice regarding the anti-spyware program installations & online virus scans.
Then download the HJT application as explained, post in the same forum as the above link.

We'll analyze it and reply, typically with a day or so. :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 12 March 2006 - 02:42 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users