Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to the Linux experience

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 emcjames

emcjames

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

This is my first Linux install and I appear to be stuck at the first hurdle after finally having enough of windows and wanting to give something new a try so I know absolutely nothing about the in and out of it, I inserted the disc I made with Mandriva I and it gave me the choice of install or launch so I chose install it went to a blue screen saying Mandriva and then brings up a dos style screen saying;
I8042: pnp: no ps/2 controller found, probing ports directly
Serio: i8042 kbd port at 0x60, 0x64 Irq 1
Serio: i8042 aux port at 0x60, 0x64 Irq 12
Mousedev: ps/2 mouse device common for all mice
Rtc_cmos 00:04: Rtc can wake from s4
Rtc_cmos 00:04: Rtc core: registered Rtc_cmos as rct0
Rct0: alarms up to one month, y3k, 114 bytes nvram, hpet irqs
Cpuidle: using governor ladder
Cpuidle: using governor menu
Tcp cubic registered
Registering the DNs_ resolver key type
Registered taskstats version 1
Magic number : 8:671:609
Rtc_cmos 00:04 setting system clock to 2012-08-13 01:36:06 UTC(1344821766)
Bios edd facility v0.16 2004-jun-25, 2 devices found
Freeing unused kernel memory: 752k freed
<30>dracut: dracut-010-6
<30>dracut: rd.luks=0: removing cryptoluks activation
<30>dracut: root was live:/dev/disk/by-label/mandriva.2011.x86_64.1, liveroot is now live:CDlabel=Mandriva.2011.x86_64.1
Device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
Device-mapper: ioctl: 4.19.1-ioctl (2011-01-07) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
Loop: module loaded
Uniform multi-platform E-IDE driver
IDE-cd driver 5.00
<30>udevd[115]: starting version 168
Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 3193.583 MHz.
Switching to clocksource tsc
<30>dracut: starting Plymouth daemon

Mandriva linux release 2011.0 (official) for x86_64
Kernel 2.6.38.7-desktop-1mnb2 on a 4-processor x86_64 / tty1
Localhost.localdomain login started display manager.
Starting LSB: adaptive readahead daemon
Start
ed LSB: adaptive readahead daemon.....

Then if im to enter root then mcc I'm greeted by a menu saying control center choose the tool you want to use
Auto install
Boot loader
Display
Firewall
Internet connection sharing
Keyboard
Mouse
Network & Internet
Partitions
Services
Users and groups

My computer has the following spec
P8p67 pro board
I3 2100 CPU
4gb ram
Hd6850 gpu

It may be something to do with the graphics card as when I click onto the graphics section and choose my card etc it tells me there was a error

I hope all this info makes life abit easier for you guys to help me as I dont have any idea from here on thankyou In advance if you can help at all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 emcjames

emcjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

After a bit more looking around I entered the command 'startx' and it brough up this;
(II) [kms] drm report modesetting isn't supported
(EE) RADEON(0): chipset: "AMD RADEON HD 6800 Series" (chipID = 0x6739) requires KMS
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a useable configuration.

Fatal server error: no screens found

#3 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

If you've never used Linux before, I'd strongly suggest not installing it right away. Instead of choosing Install at the first screen, choose Launch (assuming you're using the LiveCD version). That should boot Linux off that CD and allow you to try it out without touching any of the data on your hard drive. This also allows you to find any hardware issues with that distribution before actually installing it.
If you receive the same errors while running from the CD, post back.

#4 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

To extend what lhamil64 said, if you're just starting out with Linux then you may be better served with a distribution that fires up straight into a GUI. I'd recommend Ubuntu. You can run the entire OS as a LiveCD (without installing) or install it directly to the drive. Either way, it will take you straight into a GUI and you don't need to mess around much on the command line.

My guess is that Mandriva install either didn't configure X or it doesn't have the necessary drivers to run it.

#5 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

No matter which distro you choose, post-install of the
HD6850 GPU Proprietary Driver:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.42&lang=English
is recommended.

Why not choose something simple and timely to begin with, like either peppermint3 or SolusOS?

A plus for any Debian-based distro is the smxi script, which makes post-install tweaking a relative breeze compared to some.

Best wishes and enjoy!

Edited by pane-free, 13 August 2012 - 05:28 PM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#6 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

You should not start with Mandriva. Mandriva is an enterprise version for server use and so on. Start with something simple like Ubuntu is a good choice. :) For beginners I recommend installing Ubuntu with WUBI which installs Ubuntu as a regular program within Windows. Once you get use to it and familiar with basic shell commands and compiling software from source then you should be able to replace Windows completely. Don't jump into something right away you should ease yourself into it gradually. :)

#7 searchme2

searchme2

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

http://hasben.hubpages.com/hub/Top-5-Linux-Distros-for-beginners

Linux Mint 13 is a good choice too. :-)

#8 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:21 AM

Hi,

just as a side note, if you decide to run Ubuntu you will very likely never need to compile a package yourself. You can, of course, but it really isn't necessary. All programs are offered as pre-compiled packages, that can be installed right away. The same is true for the command line, you can very well use Ubuntu without ever using the command line, if you choose to.

It's, of course, way more fun to use the command line, but nobody will force you to use it, if you don't want to. :wink:

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:07 AM

Just ran across this post. Although Mandriva has been / is a server leaning distribution, it's desktop hardware detection has been excellent. The fact is that Ubuntu DOES NOT have a lock on "out of the box hdwr detection" and the fact is that except for some fringe distros, 90% of modern Linux distributions provide pre-packaged, pre-compiled software packages.

Please do not be misled into thinking that Ubuntu has a lock on "ease of use". It doesn't. My experience has been that Mandriva and PCLinux OS have loaded on 40-50 random PCs and laptops over the past couple years whereas *buntu variants have NOT.

Many distributions have recently run into issues as xorg-server, and Linux desktops GNOME / KDE have been undergoing major upgrades resulting in difficulties for ALL distributions.

As of last summer, PCLinuxOS has been very good about finding hdwr. Find a distro, read the errata, then RUN a LIVECD. That will be your best bet for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users