Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ladyriver54

ladyriver54

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:21 AM

Hi. I'm ladyriver54. I saw this site and had to check it out. I hadn't heard of browser hijacking until now. I had the winfixer trojan and this site helped me to get rid of it. Thank You!!! Does anyone know what spooling is in reference to printing? My print program comes on and indicates it is spooling and doesn't print. How do I fix this? It's a Lexmark X73 printer. Any help would be sooooooo appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by phawgg, 12 March 2006 - 02:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:22 AM

Welcome to BC, ladyriver54

This is a word definition from Wkipedia Computer Terms link:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/s/spooling.html

So, basically the indication is your Lexmark is "preparing to print".
Practically speaking, if it were operating properly, you'd likely not see that msg.
Newer PCs do it quickly.
What I think it indicates is a "failure to connect things properly" in the sequence
that results in the printer operating normally.
If your internet connection is interrupted visiting websites you will get a msg:
"404 Server not Found" or something like that. A "failure to connect things properly".

In your computer the software that Lexmark needs to function properly is loaded
by CD, usually. The files usually go to C:\Program Files\Lexmark and are referenced
to for a multitude of tasks by the windows OS (operating system) when you call for them.

Sometimes, a job you requested fails to get done, and "nobody tells the variety of software
or hardware (the printer itself)" the news. So all those instructions remain "in queue".
Sometimes a shortcut you use to enable action gets broken.
Sometimes our malware removal might "nick" a file, meaning because of the infection
the removal of it effects something it had "attached itself to".
Sometimes a cable is removed, then replaced, and it was done "out of proper sequence"
or results in "mis-routed digital information" or "creates an endless loop".

No matter the reason, the resolution of the problem would be fairly simple I think,
except that Lexmark products probably have multiple applications.
That means you can go to C:\Program Files\Lexmark(model no/) and find too many.
If there were only one or two that (in detail view) are "file type = application"
you'd simply click to open the program there, eliminating any shortcuts.

Lexmark products might have:
"a button manager"
"an update service"
"a button monitor"
"an AOI exe" etc.

So best advice is to not try to work within that folder, which likely also conatains 125 .dll files, too.
A .dll file (dynamic library link) does what the name implies, routes the "calls for action" specifically.
Like locating a book on a shelf in the library, then several more that refer to parts of the subject
matter, they "allow" the placing of them all on the table for you to read.

One out of that crowd of .dll files may be "corrupt" or simply "inaccesible" now.

I'd suggest simply going to the add & remove programs and uninstalling the Lexmark program
entirely.
Unplug the printer, also, after removing the program.
Then, after rebooting, go back to the C:\Program Files\Lexmark X73 series folder.
If it still is there, which it probably is. (these Lexmark products do not uninstall "cleanly" I've found
from experience. It is because of the registration of them, maybe you bought some extra service,
whatever). View what is there. Close the folder.

At this point its time to install the printer exactly as if it never was uninstalled.
Follow the directions on the installCD that you got.
If any complications (due to remaining files) occur, you'll note what is stated in messages
during the typical installation process.

Post any of them as a reply here, we'll help interpret them.

More than likely it will be simple & straightforward.
Uninstall/reinstall. Problem fixed.

I just wanted to give you some more insight/opinion from another Lexmark user.

btw, I made your post look right by "closing the tags". Same thing happened to me when I first tried it.
I can edit a post for you, you can too ... but only for 24 hours I think. :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 12 March 2006 - 02:25 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:35 AM

Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:39 PM

:thumbsup: to BC! ladyriver54.

Good Luck,
yano :flowers:

#5 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:30 AM

Hello :thumbsup:

Welcome to BC

Click this link for help on how to get involved!

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users