Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual operating systems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1QWK96GT

1QWK96GT

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a home built computer here are the specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate
Intel i7 2600k unlocked processor
Asus P8 Z68-V Pro Motherboard
Antec EA-650 Green 650Watt PSU
Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse
Diablotek EVO ATX Midtower Case
LG 22x DVD writer (Sata)
Liteon DVD writer (Sata)
Corsair 8GB Ram
WD 1TB (Sata) Hard drive

Anyway here is what I wanna do but have not gotten around to figuring it out.

I am currently running windows 7 on this set up. I have an extra 500GB western digital hard drive (sata) laying around that I decided to throw in this setup,
then i thought why not run another operating system on that 500gb hard drive. I was thinking either linux or I have windows xp. My question is how do I go about setting up this computer to turn on and give me the option for which operating system/hard drive I want to boot into. Is it like a boot loader or something? I was also thinking if I use some kind of boot loader it would be nice if it had a feature where if I dont select anything within X amount of seconds it defaults to my windows 7.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

[Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum.jgw]

Edited by jgweed, 13 August 2012 - 06:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

I would go for Linux...

Maybe you want to learn more about the "GRUB bootloader" ==> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html

Quoted from that tutorial: "One of the most frightening things about Linux is the horrible word bootloader. The primary reason for this is the fact that most new Linux users have only ever used Windows operating systems. In the Windows world, they have never bothered with bootloaders. For them, the issue of a system booting was a transparent one. At most, they would use Windows Recovery Console to fix problems for them. Thus, they have been spared the need to learn about the single most important piece of software on a computer - the little program that makes it all work.

This article is supposed to provide you with basic understanding of the GRUB bootloader. If you have read my other Linux articles, you are familiar with partitioning and Linux notation, as well as with the command line. The next logical step is to enhance this knowledge by taking one step further. Understanding how GRUB works and what boot entries in the boot menu mean will help you understand how the operating systems work, how to fix, recover or modify the GRUB menu to suit your needs, and how to setup different work environments with several operating systems.
"

A dual boot (Example: Windows 7 + Ubuntu (Linux):
http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-in-perfect-harmony

Edited by ElFasso, 13 August 2012 - 05:07 AM.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:37 AM

Just a note: OP wants to use 2 different harddrives ,not 2 partitions

also with win7 ultimate you can run winxp mode [free ]from within win7 .
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Edited by caperjac, 13 August 2012 - 08:14 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users