Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help, what cooling should I get for my 17" laptop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Purplegill10

Purplegill10

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 17R 2nd Gen that runs hot when running heavy load programs/games/etc. I've seen cooling pads and some channeled laptop supports but none seem to do the trick (ive had my laptop in mid-air and it still ran hot, plus I've once burned out a fan from using it so much). So anyone have any tips/products that could help me?
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.
Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi was freakin' awesome

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:39 AM

Usually, laptop's cooling system are designed for their hardware specifications. Most thermal events are triggered by dust and bunnies or blocked ventilation, bad heatsink, internal cooling fans or sensor malfunctions, processor needs reapplying thermal paste. By means of heavy usage would make the laptop more susceptible to overheat because of being compact and light. Some people I have noticed taking their laptops for repair are due to not shutting them down, being used 24/7 and or playing games. Desktop are more robust when it comes into this conditions. The external fan is only a temporary solution.

Tekken

#3 ichiban1962

ichiban1962

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

I've been using a Targus lap chill mat with my sony vaio 17inch laptop for a year now,
before this the laptop had a tendency to get hot on the left hand side (mostly the QWERTY section of the keyboard)
but since using the Targus mat this has been reduced greatly
My best mate bought an Asus laptop 2 years ago which got so hot you could have fried an egg on it!
He purchased the Cooler master Notepal U2(has two fans you can fix anywhere on the pad for best fan placement)
and has noticed a drastic reduction in heat.
both of these i found very good to use(both USB powered)
also consider getting your laptop serviced as it could just be clogged with dust

good luck anyway mate

Edited by ichiban1962, 13 August 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#4 Purplegill10

Purplegill10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for the replies, i'll check into cleaning my laptop.
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.
Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi was freakin' awesome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users