Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirected From Google Chrome to Ask.com

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Margin Approval

Margin Approval

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hello,

I'm new to BP, and joined to ask if I am infected with malware, and if so, how to get rid of it. I use Google Chrome exclusively to search the Internet, and am very happy with that. But in the last few days, my Google Chrome searches are redirected to Ask.com. No offense to Ask.com, but the search results are not what I want. I did a search and someone with the same problem was told in a forum that her laptop was probably compromised by malware. But there were no instructions included on how to get rid of it. I want my Google Chrome search engine back! I have the best version of Trend Micro anti-virus running on my computer, and am surprised it didn't block the malware, if that's what this is. I also did a quick scan with Trend Micro, and it didn't find the offending malware, because I'm still having the same problem. Thank you in advance if you can help me resolve this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

Uninstall Chrome...

• Go to Start > All Programs > Google Chrome > Uninstall Google Chrome.
  • Delete your user profile information, like your browser preferences, bookmarks, and history, by selecting the "Also delete browser data" checkbox.
  • Select the default browser you'd like to use.
  • Click OK in the confirmation prompt.
The uninstall process will begin.

Install fresh copy.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 EricFromAsk

EricFromAsk

Authorized Ask.com Rep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hi there - in fact, deleting Google Chrome entirely isn't necessary. We publish the steps you need right here on our site:
http://asksupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4467

If you need any additional help, just let our Customer Support team know via this link:
http://asksupport.custhelp.com/app/ask

Best regards,
Eric
Mod Edit: Removed unsubstantiated affiliation tag, PM sent re authorized rep status - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 14 August 2012 - 02:43 PM.
Removed "Ask.com" from sig block - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users