Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Crashes When Trying To Access Internet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:56 PM

I was given a copy of Windows XP, installed it (twice now) and it would give me the blue screen of death when I tried to access the internet via IE, OE, or Firefox. I uninstalled my modems software with the intention of reinstalling it in hopes that this was the problem, and when I try to access the disc the puter crashes. :thumbsup: Anyone have any ideas as to what is happening?

This copy of XP doesn't have SP2, I have 256MB of RAM, 200GB hdd, a MSI K7- pro motherboard with a slot A AMD cpu. I heard those giggles, at least it works!

Edited by dc3, 11 March 2006 - 10:57 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:51 AM

How are you getting past the product key? As you know, a copy without a valid key is likely to do anything. If the key is valid, a repair should fix you up. After that help and support will help you to update to sp2. Don't turn on auto updates until you are at that point.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,398 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:48 AM

Gunner...the disc came with the product key, as I understand it you can't even install the os without it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:56 AM

Blue screens are often called 'Blue Screens of Death' (or BSOD) by users, and 'Stop Messages' by Microsoft. We need to know the exact message you see when you get the blue screen. We especially are looking for a set of letters and numbers about half way down the page that take this format:

0x0000008e

This is usually followed by a set of 4 simliar numbers in parenthasis. For now we just need the first set of letter and numbers (before the numbers in the parenthasis).

This will help you diagnose why you are getting the stop messages.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,398 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:24 PM

This is the only machine I have at the moment, so I wiped the hdd and repartitioned it and reformatted with W2k Pro so that I could get back on line. I don't remember any specific error codes, just the BSOD with the paragraph that stars with "if this is the first time that you have see this message", and ends with "dumping memory" with a counter beside it. It has been suggested that I get a copy of SP2, and then reinstall the os, and the the SP2, and then try going on line, this dosen't really make sense since there are a lot of people out there without the SP2 going about their business without a hitch. About the only thing I haven't tried is to wash the disc before I use it, it could be just that simple. It just strikes me as odd that the BSOD occurs with anything related to going on line, IE, OE, Firefox. The last straw was when I deleted the modems program so I could reinstall it thinking that is had a problem, only to have the computer crash every time I tried to reinstall the program. Just working off line there were no problems, I could play freecell, do word files, and access all of the other programs that I had installed. There were no new programs that I hadn't previously used, so I don't see any new incompatability issues that you would run into with say a new antivirus, or firewall.

Edited by dc3, 12 March 2006 - 12:27 PM.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:46 PM

I am not sure what you mean by 'wiped out' the hard drive (formatted?) but hopefully that will be enough to solve the issue. If you were infected it may not be enough. But if it was driver related it might take care of the problem.

Of course stop messages can be caused by many things, including hardware issues, or maybe it would be correct to say ESPECIALLY hardware issues. Just let us know if you continue to have problems and we can walk you through 'em!

You don't need to take our advice on loading SP2, of course, but it is HIGHLY recommended if this computer is going to be on line AT ALL! Make SURE your computer is clean of all malicious software first! SP2 won't install correctly in an infected machine.

Also, in my experience, SP2 installs much better from a disk than it does from a download. You can order a disk HERE. This, of course, would especially be the preferred course of action for someone with a slow internet connection as it is a huge download.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,398 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:59 PM

Hi Albert...I used a program called "Drive Wipe" to overwrite the hard drive, hence the term wiped.

I've read enough about SP2 to deffinitely want it on my computer, that's a given. I oredered the SP2 disc yesterday from M$, and paid my $1.77 for shipping and handling, I even received an email comfirmation! :thumbsup: I will wait until the disc arrives, and then try this once again. I wish I had another modem and software to stick in there if this problem happens again, all of my peripherals are no more than a year old, I hate to purchase another modem when this one is this new...but components do develop problems.

Edited by dc3, 12 March 2006 - 01:01 PM.

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:57 PM

If you are referring to a dial up modem, and it does come down to buying a one, you could always purchase one HERE pretty cheap. $11.00 USD includes shipping!

Good luck!

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 12 March 2006 - 01:59 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#9 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

If you get the screen 'if this is the first time . . .etc' and the memory dump starts, chkdsk will often fix this. Run it from the Recovery Console with the parameters /f /p.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users