Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a WI-FI bridge using an old router

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yorkie

Yorkie

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

Hi,

I have a D-Link DSL-2780 (Firmware v1.13) WI-FI Router, which is my main router (the one all my Laptops and devices access the internet through).

I have a computer upstairs that does not have WI-FI and I have heard that you can use a 2nd WI-FI router as a WI-FI Bridge that would enable me to connect my computer upstairs to the 2nd WI-FI router via Ethernet and this will enable it to access the internet.

I have 2 old routers that I don't need anymore so I was going to use one of these to try the WI-FI bridge.

The 2 spare routers are:-

Huawei EchoLife HG532 (firmware v2.02t) and a Siemens SE 587 Router.

Can anyone advise how I would achieve this i.e. what settings I need and how to go about it?

Regards...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

Sorry for the delay, so far my Answer is no. I didn't see wifi bridge in either setup manual and no one has custom firmware reidiy available that I have found so far.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

Hi Sneakycyber,

Thanks for checking this out for me, it's appreciated.

I do have another spare router which I got from an old ISP (TalkTalk):-

Huawei EchoLife HG532 (firmware v2.02t),

Do you think I could use this as a Client/WI-FI bridge?

Thanks again...

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Some routers, mostly ones in the $150-200 range, have a feature built in called either "WiFi Extender" or "Wireless Repeating". Unless you have a router that supports this (you can log into your router's control panel to check) then you are out of luck. My current router (Netgear WNDR3700) does support it, but I've never used it.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

The Huawei EchoLife HG532 is a DSL Access point or "uplink" it does not have a router function :(

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users