I'm pretty sure a neighbour (or somebody) is hacking into my computer from some messages I have read, not blatantly obvious, but enough information to know it is most likely they either know what pages I'm going to on the internet, or they may have complete access...for example, a comment was made about a particular webpage I surfed. They use the same internet provider and the same model of router I believe. When I click on the little internet tab in the bottom right corner, I know they are online, because they are using an SSID name that relates to them and there are only 4 or 5 SSID'S listed max.
1. Firstly, is there any way I can find/prove they might be hacking into my computer?
2. Secondly, how do I stop this?
3. If this person has got into my computer through the internet, can they access my word documents, or items on the desktop, or view just what pages I surf?
4. I was wondering if it's that easy to access my Belkin router when I have WPA2 – PSK security type – a number code is needed to access. As they have the same router, and with so few SSID's showing in the local area, I'm pretty sure they know what my SSID is.
5. One thought, is it possible they could just enter the belkin page 192.168.2.1 on their computer, type in my SSID, click on the security tab where the password is shown, and then uncheck the obscure PSK which reveals the password, and then set up an SSID connection in my SSID name with that password and access my computer/internet connection. Or perhaps I am totally off the mark on how they might access my computer and they are accessing it another way??
6. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but i've been getting terrible internet connection. It's very slow and sometimes the blue screen of death comes up. This may have nothing to do with it, but I also get a message from firefox saying something is trying to trick firefox into accepting a secure update, and also everytime I try to sign out of hotmail on any of the three browsers I use, the page tries to log out, but doesn't complete. The only way to log out is when I click on clear internet cookies during the log out process, then it works. And my computer can never shut down properly. All that comes up is a green screen with the words shutting down and it stays like that forever, so I have to turn the power off.
5. To note, the WAN MAC address on my router is different to my WAN > MAC address on the Belkin page 192.168.2.1 - this is because I changed the mac address on my belkin page several times due to the slow internet connection. Does this matter?
6. Finally, on the Belkin page 192.168.2.1 , the FIREWALL, MAC ADDRESS filtering, which lists up to 32 computers, is empty. Should I change this?
I've tried using superantispyware, Malwarebytes and Avast, but it shows nothing. But if they have access through my internet connection would this software help at all?
Any help appreciated, thanks.
Edited by darrentype88, 12 August 2012 - 12:11 PM.