Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't turn on.. ):

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ithralia

Ithralia

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

I had just recently purchased this computer;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229340&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4082247&SID=skim3687X620620Xb850093c847b4a3fb46e88d1dfdf50b4

I had only used it for a day and then the next day it wouldn't even turn on. I have tried everything that I can think of to fix it. From unplugging it and plugging it back in, changing out the power cord with a different one, trying to plug it into a different location in the house, turning the surge protector on and off, etc. I opened the side up and everything seemed to be in place and nothing was obviously unplugged.

Any suggestions / ideas? We do have a warranty but when we called we got put on hold for an hour + and gave up. We will probably call them again Monday I just wondered if there was something else that I should try before calling it quits and switching the computer out completely.

Thanks for any help~!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

Time to go write a review.

Is the switch on the back of the power supply on?

Totally Dead?

Warranty, then do nothing that could give them an way out of the warranty.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Ithralia

Ithralia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Yeah we've tried it with flipping the switch on and off.
No luck. Nothing happens.. at all. It doesn't even try to turn on. No lights, sound, fans or anything.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

Were there any thunderstorms between when it worked and when it was dead?
Thunderstorms can eat the Power supply or worse.

Warranty time, That is what they are for.
The only reason to go further would be if you were willing to spend the money to fix it yourself.
If you want to go further, do you have a voltmeter?

Sorry
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Ithralia

Ithralia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:31 PM

There was rain, but we didn't have any power outages and it has a surge protector on top of that.
I think we will just have to send it back to get a new one :\\
Thanks for the help though.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

Don't forget to get a RMA number before returning the computer.
RMA = Return merchandise authorization

Just a quick note that a surge protector wears out as it absorbs surges.
The good ones will have status lights that will indicate things such as,
1. Bad wiring in the outlet, reversed polarity, open neutral or open ground.
2. No longer protecting
3. functioning normally

A good surge protector will be a brand name that you might see on a UPS. It will usually have a equipment damage warranty, covering damage caused by a surge that gets past it.

A inexpensive surge protector can be useless due to absorbing surges and not indicate that fact.
A cheap surge protector should be replaced yearly or right before the stormy season.

Also a Electrician can put a whole house surge protector on the Circuit Breaker panel to protect the rest of the house. The computer should still be protected separately.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 13 August 2012 - 09:33 AM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users