Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a virus HIDE in a [.TXT] file?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Post

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

I'm infected with a polymorphic file infector. I'm looking for a safe file to save and hide my URl(s)in. If a .txt file ( small to medium )can not be infected, it will make a nice lock-box to keep my URL(s) in. I can think of other information I want to save but I can print that out.
I only trying to salvage what information I can before I nuke & pave.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Robert / Post

Edited by hamluis, 12 August 2012 - 11:12 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

How about a different approach

For Internet Explorer. Look for the Favorites folder and copy it. The location depends on the Version of windows and the User name.

For Firefox

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
MozBackup is a simple utility for creating backups of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Mozilla Sunbird, Flock, SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite, Spicebird, Songbird and Netscape profiles.

It allows you to backup and restore bookmarks, mail, contacts, history, extensions, passwords, cache etc. It's an easy way to do Firefox backup, Thunderbird backup ...

I don't use Chrome so I'm only including a Google search

And to answer the original question if you create a .txt file in Notepad that should be safe. Notepad, not Wordpad or Word.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 12 August 2012 - 11:26 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Post

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:05 AM

Roger / rotor123 ?

Thank you. I only use notepad. I hadn't thought about backing up my favorites or my bookmarks so thank you for reminding me. Can viruses hide in music? because I have a ton of music files.
I don't mean to drag this out and I'm willing to just loose all the videos but I really want to
keep my music files.

Thanks for all the support. You guys and girls do a wonderful job.

Robert / Post

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

To answer your question I have seen music and video files that were viruses masquerading as music or video.
You might want to run something like this on any flash drives or external drives you use.
Panda USB and AutoRun Vaccine

Computer Vaccination

The free Panda USB Vaccine allows users to vaccinate their PCs in order to disable AutoRun completely so that no program from any USB/CD/DVD drive (regardless of whether they have been previously vaccinated or not) can auto-execute.

USB Vaccination
The free Panda USB Vaccine can be used on individual USB drives to disable its AUTORUN.INF file in order to prevent malware infections from spreading automatically.

Then before using any files you saved scan them with an antivrus and Malwarbytes.

If you can still get online have you thought about using something like Dropbox for some of your files.
or Carbonite
or Mozy

Others may have suggestions too.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users