Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus, malware or system file?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shine2012

shine2012

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

when my laptop was new i never saw these folders named $RECYCLE.BIN and SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION and now i think my laptop is infected with a virus because i got these files through a pen drive, that means its a virus or a malware b'coz it spreads and many people have got this because of my laptop. but none of the antivirus i used such as avira, Avg, Mcafee and eset online scan have detected it till now. I don't know what to do. please help me to get rid of this thing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

Sorry, but absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Please try to restate your question so we can understand it.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

Where are you seeing these files at? It sounds as if you may have hidden files and folders set to show. Those 2 files and more will show up if you have hidden files and folders and protected operating system files to show.

Do the following:

1) Click the Computer icon on your desktop or in the Start menu.

2) When Computer opens, click Tools/Folder Options.

3) View tab.

4) If Show hidden files, folders, or drives is ticked you will need to tick Don't show hidden files, folders, or drives.

5) A few lines under Show hidden files and folders is Hide protected operating system files is checked UNCHECK it.

6) Click Apply to save the change. Click OK.

7) Look to see if they still show up.

IF YOU DO NOT SEE TOOLS AT THE TOP OF COMPUTER click the drop down arrow next to Organize.

Click LAYOUT then click Menu Bar.

Report the results. If that does not work, we can explore other causes, including possible malware.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 August 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#4 Bugen

Bugen

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

Those files are completely normal.

$RECYCLE.BIN is a windows special folder that holds the recycle bin. Double click on it and you will see something like this. Then open one of the recycle bins. See picture
Attached File  recycle.jpg   180.44KB   5 downloads

SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION is the folder where windows keeps restore points, shadow copies, and chkdsk logs. You have to edit permissions to be able to access it.

These folders are normally hidden. To rehide them:

1. Hit start then computer.
2. At the top, click organize then folder and search options.
3. Click on view tab.
4. Make sure the Don't Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
Posted Image
5. Also make sure Hide protected operating system files box is checked.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users