Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Reinstall 39 Minute Hang

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 arm69

arm69

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

I am trying to not lose any data or programs on my laptop. Had some problems so I went to repair my XP Home. But it gets stuck in preparing installation part @ 39 minutes. How do I get around this with out having to re-format and install new OS??
Regrads,
Arm :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:24 PM

I have several questions:

So, does your laptop boot now?

Why were you doing a repair install in the first place? What I mean is, what problems were you having?

What happens when it hangs? Any blue screen with stop message? Or any error messages?

Is your install cd original or a copy, and is it perfectly clean?

Have you had any problems with your CD drive before?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 arm69

arm69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:45 PM

I am working on a friends laptop. It was loaded with spyware. I did a complete clean but for some reason I lost the task bar. Couldn't get it back and was having problems getting onto the internet with high speed. So I thought I would do a repair install. I am using the original cd and I do not get any blue screen. I did shut it down after an hour and windows did say it was going to finish the repair where left off. Still running at 39 minutes. Hope you can assist and thanks for the quick response. I did read somewhere to do a ctrl & Shift but that just brings me to a command prompt and then I am lost. I just shut it down and rebooted not from the cd. It is back to the "39 minutes in Preparing Installation" mode

Edited by arm69, 11 March 2006 - 09:49 PM.

#4 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:51 PM

If you have access to another cd try that first. If not try cleaning the cd and attempt to repair install again. If you have the hard drive space you can also copy the contents of the cd to the hard drive and install from there. Good luck
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#5 arm69

arm69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 11:09 PM

This is the restore disk that I just took out of the holder. Never been used??

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:34 AM

So many things can cause this. More questions:

Have you ever had problems with the CD player before?

Can you boot into safe mode by tapping the F8 key at bootup and selecting "Safe Mode"?

I wonder what would happen if you started the entire repair process over again, i.e. let the computer boot from the cd - etc.

Does this article make any sense to you: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282195
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 arm69

arm69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:24 PM

I tried to boot in safe mode but could not continue. And no I have not had any problems with the CD. It was suggested to re-set the bois to default??? And I have tried to restart the computer with the CD to try to by-pass. It still hangs at 39min.

Edited by arm69, 12 March 2006 - 01:25 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 07:44 PM

Oftentimes repairing spyware will break Windows - and I've found that often even a repair install won't fix it.

I'd recommend using a live Linux CD or a DOS boot disk with NTFS reader to save all the important data. Unfortunately this won't save the programs.

You may end up spending weeks on this and still not getting it to work - I'd suggest having your friend bite the bullet and go ahead with a clean install after saving all the data.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 arm69

arm69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:56 PM

:thumbsup: That's exactly what I did. I pulled the HD out into a portible drive holder and backed up the important data. Reinstalling a fresh copy of XP Pro now. Thanks. Oh BTW Bill Gates KMA!
Regards,
Arm :flowers:

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:45 AM

Don't you love when people allow their computer to become infested with malware which destroys the op system and then blame Bill Gates!

#11 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:10 AM

Yeah I dont think its really Bill's fault...he doesn't really do much around the office these days does he?....he he he..
BTW, does copying the install CD contents to hard drive make it quicker to repair when the need arises? and is there a particular command that needs to be run to make a complete copy to hard drive incl all hidden files...or is copying the install CD like a last resort?

#12 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:23 PM

No he doesn't he's too busy counting his money :thumbsup:

Edited by Bear, 21 March 2006 - 04:24 PM.

Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#13 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

does copying the install CD contents to hard drive make it quicker to repair when the need arises?

I've never heard of doing this with XP. Copying the CAB files in 98 worked, but I don't think XP works that way. When XP installs, it copies the files it needs to the hard drive.

#14 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:55 PM

XP can be istalled or repair-installed by copying the I386 directory from the XP disc onto your hard drive. The location can be on any partition. Then, run the program USETUP.EXE. The catch is that the system must be running in pure DOS such as from a Windows 98 boot diskette. Some computer manufacturers create a special partition with this I386 directory in it and supply a boot floppy diskette or a program for creating a boot diskette in order for the user to perform an install or repair install.

Boot diskette creation programs can be found here.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:42 PM

Yeah I dont think its really Bill's fault...he doesn't really do much around the office these days does he?....he he he..
BTW, does copying the install CD contents to hard drive make it quicker to repair when the need arises? and is there a particular command that needs to be run to make a complete copy to hard drive incl all hidden files...or is copying the install CD like a last resort?

He has given away more money in his philanthropic endeavors than most millionaires will ever make.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users