Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New gaming rig advise

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:23 AM

Looking at making a new PC mostly designed for gaming, however there will be the odd bit of video converting.

I'll list what I'm currently looking at, however I can't decide between 3 motherboards so Ill put those three first, keeping in mind in future I would like 3 X Graphic cards (and the one I'm looking at takes up two PCI slots due to the fan) Any suggestions/advise would be great. One thing I don't understand in the MB specs is how many of the PCI-E slots run at X16, as they change depending on how many cards are installed. Ideally 3 slots running at X16... however I believe that all 3 slots end up sharing one path back to CPU (FSB?) so it isn't that big of a deal anyway? correct me if I'm wrong.

Also I would of liked to run 2000mhz ram but can't find a CPU that supports it, I'm guessing any that do will be very expensive? This is currently getting to costly as it is lol.

Any suggestions/advise would be very helpful, Thanks.

MB Option 1 - Gigabyte X79-UD3
Link

MB Option 2 - AsRock X79 Extreme6
Link

MB Option 3 - Asus P9X79
Link

Rest of parts (From store website)

Case - Strike-X Black Gaming Tower
Link

CPU - I7 3820
Link

GPU - GTX 670
Link

RAM - Corsair 8GB (I'll add another 8GB in future)
Link

PSU - Raidmax 1000W (Not sure if this will be enough for when I run 3X Graphic cards? should I go up to 1200W?)
Link

SSD - Corsair 240GB
Link

Edited by cooldudenz, 12 August 2012 - 04:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gbe

gbe

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

i have mostly the same except ssd i got it for 600 aud (not bad eh)

ebay IHUBCENTRAL

plus they build the computer for you

AWESOMENESS

damn forgot about the graphics and the case lOL mine are Cr*4p

Edited by gbe, 12 August 2012 - 04:27 AM.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

For the motherboard, the 3 of them are all fine, choose one that fits in your budget. For multi-gpus you would want a full atx case rather then a mid-atx. Also for the power supply, there are better high quality brands like Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, XFX etc.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

Ok thx ill try make a choice on the boards. can u tell me if theres any difference between them in regards to the pci-e speeds when running three cards?

Also are all the boards good to take 3 of these graphics cards due to them taking two slots?

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

All of those boards will do triple Crossfire/SLI. None of those boards will give full PCI Express X16 speeds with three cards, but they will with two. With three cards, I believe you are limited to X8 speeds. Most people suggest using two cards as the law of diminishing returns starts to come into play with three cards. Many games do not scale well past two GPU's. For example, a second GPU may increase your speed by 80%, a third may increse by 40%. Those are just examples, real-world performance may be somewhat different.

3939.png

#6 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

Ok i have just been looking up 3d mark results on this card and cpu and it apperas to give around 100% increase with second card then maybe 20% by adding a thrid. so thinking two is plently the small gain isnt worth the price and prob the extra heat involved.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:15 AM

You shouldn't rely on 3D Mark results as it is a synthetic benchmark. A real world performance like the average FPS would really tell if it is worth or not.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

Ok thanks, Pretty much decided what ill get. As above but ill get the GigaByte GTX 670 as it's cheaper, a 120GB SSD drive instead of the 240 and a Corsair power supply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users