Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer build

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 taizo100

taizo100

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

I was wondering if any of you could look at my build I have for my computer and let me know what I can do to improve it if need be. This is my first time building a computer so I have no idea whether I have all the parts necessary or if im putting the wrong parts with each other. The games I would be playing on this would be - WoW, LoL, TF2, Minecraft, Path of Exile, StarCraft. Since I also do not have a monitor to go with the comp I would also like if you guys could give me recommendations for one. If possible I would want to know what parts are easily upgradeable for future purposes. In addition, what would be the estimated life of this computer? My budget is about $800. Thanks for any help.

Here's my build:
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower Computer Case (RC-912-KKN1)

Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH

Graphics Card: HIS iCooler H777F1G2M Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-880GM-D2H (REV. 3.1) AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

CD/DVD burner: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer - Bulk - 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS224-06 LightScribe Support - OEM

Memory: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd Black 21.5" 5ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1 (1000:1)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:22 AM

I would switch the power supply to a 600W as that 430W is gonna struggle at load. Also where are the prices for each component?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:07 AM

If you are wanting to "futureproof" yourself, I would get a motherboard that uses the AMD 900 series chipset, like the ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970. The Phenom II 965, though old, is still powerful enough. I wouldn't bother changing that out until you go for the AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz or AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz. As for the monitor, I would get the ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5" as it uses IPS and is a bit better overall. You also need an operating system, if you are willing to wait until October 26th, you can get Windows 8 or use the Windows 8 Release Preview now, and "Upgrade" to the full release in October for $40. If you do this last option, keep in mind you will have to clean install.

3939.png

#4 Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

I was going to mention no OS is listed but I see DJBPace already did. However, because you have listed 8Gb of RAM, you you need to ensure you specify 64-bit OEM/SB license, or you buy the full Retail license, which contains both 32-bit and 64-bit (though, of course, you can only use one or the other, not both).

A common mistake is some users assume they can use their old Windows license on a new computer. Understand only a "boxed" full Retail license can be transferred to a new computer (or upgraded motherboard). It is illegal to use an OEM license that came with or was purchased for one computer on another computer. A disk “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or is labeled with “OEM/System Builder”, “Upgrade”, “Academic Edition”, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". So again, I recommend 64-bit Windows 7 or one of the many free Linux alternatives.

While the Corsair brand is a good choice, I agree to get a bigger PSU. You really need to do your homework before committing your money (and asking questions here is a good start - but not enough - it is not our money we are spending, after all ;)). But note doing your homework includes researching the power requirements of your components. The HIS 7770 Specifications page clearly shows, in bold red, 450 Watt or greater power.

I recommend you use eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your minimum and recommended power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plan ahead and plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom of the calculator page. I recommend setting Capacitor Aging to 10% and setting both TDP and system load to 100%. These steps ensure the recommended supply has adequate head room for stress free (and perhaps quieter) operation, as well as future hardware demands. Setting Capacitor Aging to 30% will provide an even nicer amount of headroom. And remember, the computer’s components will only draw what they need, not what the PSU is capable of delivering. And the PSU will only draw from the wall what the computer demands, plus another 15 - 20% due to PSU inefficiencies. Buying way too big hurts only the purchasing budget.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gifWindows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
───────────────────────

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

I would like to further highlight the OS issue the previous poster brought up. You will need a 64-bit OS to use all of that RAM, you also cannot reuse your existing Windows license unless it is a full, boxed, retail version, you have to buy new. Microsoft will be distributing Windows 8 a bit differently than Windows 7, especially when it comes to system builders.

3939.png

#6 Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

Microsoft will be distributing Windows 8 a bit differently than Windows 7, especially when it comes to system builders.

The wording for the licenses will be a bit different because now Microsoft sees System Builders as the big guys - Dell, HP, etc. and not as home/self builders. Windows 8 licenses will address issues home/self builders have, but the rules of the licenses, in particular, the rules on transferring OEM licenses to upgraded or new computers will be pretty much the same.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gifWindows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
───────────────────────

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users