Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

agonizingly slow computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rjarch

rjarch

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

I am not a computer expert by any means. recently my connection to the internet has become incredibly slow. I got an error message the other day that said virtual memory low, yet I haven't done anything different.
The question I have is, is there an anti-virus program I can use to se if it helps? and is there a way to check the applications to see if they are legit or not?
I have a Dell laptop Inspiron 9300 with Windows XP home edition. I just need to have it work well for a couple of months before I get a new computer. It is just frustrating. Any help would be appreciated, as I said, I don't know the tricks to search for problems.
Thank you
rj architect

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

Take a look at the following topics for some troubleshooting tips:

After you have gone through those guides and you feel you still have issues, please be a little more specific of what steps you have taken and describe exactly whats going on when the slowness occurs. You can continue on with this topic. for further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Bleeping Computer for your computer assistance needs.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

The question I have is, is there an anti-virus program I can use to se if it helps?

The answer is, You need any Antivirus program now - There are many good free versions available to you -
At the very least Google, Microsoft Security Essentials, and download it now <<<<<<

Animal has left very good links for you to read, so please follow these

Thank You

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Do you currently have an antivirus installed? Are you asking for alternatives to what you have or do you want ONLINE SCANNERS?

What are you using for a firewall?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 August 2012 - 01:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users