Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran Hitman Pro after File Recovery malware and now system wont boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 robert12344

robert12344

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

I had a file recovery malware infection that i first cleaned with malwarebytes antimalware. Then i ran hitman pro and then it said it would delete a volume boot record and to restart pc.

When i restarted pc it wont boot up now. It says a disk read error has occured press ctrl alt del to restart. I cant even restart with ctrl alt del.

I tried to do a system restore but there are no restore points shown. That file recovery malware hid a lot of files i think and it seems like the main disk drive is now drive H.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:28 AM

System manufacturer and model?

You tried booting into safe mode?

Louis

#3 robert12344

robert12344
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

System manufacturer and model?

You tried booting into safe mode?

Louis

Hello Louis i built my own pc. It wont let me boot into safe mode. When i tape f8 it makes me pick to boot from dvd, hard-drive, etc.

Even i tried safe mode in msconfig before when it actually booted and it didnt allow me to check the box. I think the file recovery malware hid everything because when i checked in all programs in start menu it only showed firefox, google chrome, and that file recovery malware. Also when it seems like i have a drive H as the main disk now and the folders are not bold but they are kind of faint which means they are hidden?

Trying to give as much information as possible.

I will be back home from work at 5pm eastern time and i will check back on the forums.

Also if it helps this is the guide i was following but i skipped the first safe mode part because my pc wouldnt boot into safe mode. Right after hitman pro finished and i rebooted pc now i cant boot and i get the error disk read error has occured press ctrl alt del to restart. I cant even restart with ctrl alt del. :

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/file-recovery-virus/

Edited by robert12344, 11 August 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

Thanks...I've put in a request for assistance from the BC malware personnel...hold on until the posse arrives :).

Louis

#5 robert12344

robert12344
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

Thanks...I've put in a request for assistance from the BC malware personnel...hold on until the posse arrives :).

Louis

Sounds good. I would really prefer to fix my pc rather than reinstall windows.

#6 robert12344

robert12344
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

Please Close topic.

I waited for 2 days and no one helped.

I just backed up whatever i could to an external hard drive and reinstalled windows 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users