Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I upgrade memory safely?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PC-Dufas22

PC-Dufas22

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

08/10/12

Hello all... and thanks for the welcome message.

Here we go...
(Win XP- Home Ed 2002 w/svc pak 3 installed, Pent. 4, CPU 2.53GHz, 504MB RAM)

I have a broken memory-stick slot on my HP Pavilion 753n desktop pc.

(I don't know how this happened anyway), but the lip or holder on the second slot tray is

broken, causing one side of the installed memory stick to sit loose, and not snap in, or fit securely,

resulting in Windows XP not registering or recognizing the fact that there is actually a 512 RAM memory stick in the second slot.

There are no help docs or articles that I could find at HP.com that apply to this.

Other than self-repairing or paying for a new board, I'm stuck with one working memory slot.

I still want a faster PC!!

SO....
I've been contemplating upgrading the memory by putting a 1GB RAM mem-stick in the one good 512MB slot.

MY QUESTION: Can I safely do this? I mean are there any instances where this might actually work, or am I asking for more trouble?

I did run a scan at crucial.com, and chatted with a service tech, and after tightening the fitting manually, my pc stil reads:

Memory: DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200
Memory Type: DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 1GB
Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
Total Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots: 1 512MB EMPTY

As you can see, Windows STILL can't see the 2nd 512MB stick in there.

In addition, according to Crucial's Expert Online Tech (where I bought the 512 extra RAM) this pc (HP Pavilion 753n) is too old to handle a 1GB stick in a 512 slot, because it's basically an obsolete pc...the OS can't handle it, and will be severely affected, causing crashes and other instabiities if I put a 1GB stick of RAM in the 512 slot.

My question is, I know it's not recommended. but I really want to know, can it be done safely anyway?

I've received several conflicting answers of both yes and no regarding this, and I'm just looking for an authoritative opinion- or someone with experience in upgrading memory on ancient PCs like this one.

PS: I am not second-guessing Crucial's tech guy, he was helpful and nice, but I believe he can't venture a personal opinion online or by phone, or in any way offer a recommendation that could get him in trouble, and I respect that.

Thanks- all info appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

<<I've received several conflicting answers of both yes and no regarding this, and I'm just looking for an authoritative opinion- or someone with experience in upgrading memory on ancient PCs...>>

That sounds like crucial.com personnel to me.

HP Specs

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users