Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP SP3 Firewall enough?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

I decided i wouldn't bother having a 3rd party FW installed, i got Windows XP ServicePack 3 last updated ~2011 somewhere. I do not use
Java
PDF
Word

Newest Firefox + adblock / flash plugin
Newest Skype and so on

Any fears to behave when surfing? does windows firewall + router NAT enough?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

Any fears to behave when surfing? does windows firewall + router NAT enough?

Hi -
You do not even mention a decent Antivirus, which is your first program to think of ............
A firewall should then be introduced to this, and Windows Firewall has improved greatly over the last few years -

Personally only - I use M.S.E. Antivirus with a Windows firewall and I have little problems with the set-up
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=183489 << Link to M.S.E. Antivirus -
Avira / avast! / or AVG also supply decent free Antivirus programs

Regards -

#3 monks

monks

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

From my view, safe browsing habits plus windows FW plus router FW should be OK. I also use the NoScript firefox add-on for blocking java, javascript, flash and other "active" contents. I also agree with noknojon, an AV is a must.

#4 Pajajn

Pajajn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

I never use Antivirus. I personally run everything im un-sure of in a sanboxed environment like sandboxie or Comodo's build in safebox ^^ normally don't using Cracks and such stuff since i got pretty much everything i do with my computer already saved on my usb. Checked every saved software for outgoing data or something fishy and found nothing on em so ill stick to that :)

Anyway thanks for your answers guys

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

The Windows Firewall is sufficient for most needs. I use that myself. A two-way firewall is only good for blocking outgoing malicious traffic which your antivirus or anti-malware solution should have blocked the malware to begin with. It's like having a lock on the inside of your front door. Two-way firewalls serves no purpose unless your are an enterprise or corporation that needs to monitor traffic such as users, filter content or safe guard data such as a large bank or financial institution. They really serve no purpose for a home user.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users