Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot, Windows Config Data File Missing Info

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Quadrillion

Quadrillion

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

The battery on a 3-yr old HP Pavilion DV6-1362nr was getting weak and a friend suggested that I let it run all the way down. Second time through, when the computer shut off, I restarted and got a message screen, to wit:

File: \Boot\BCD

Windows Boot Configuration Data File is missing required information
Put in your windows 7 diskette and press "Repair"

Well' all I have from HP are these recovery disks, and they don't offer a "repair" function. (BTW, an HP support tech said that if I did have the original disks (which these jacks at HP don't want to give you, that it would repair the problem). While I was doing all this, I noticed the machine was getting inordinately hot and the fan wasn't working. The HP tech said that it might not be running because of the corrupted software.

F8 doesn't work, so I can't go into safe mode to back up files I want to save
F9 allows me to go to recovery disk which offers System Recovery or System Restore. (FYI, without F9, this thing would be dead in the water. It won't do anything without my recovery disk.)

I restored to a critical update made just yesterday. It made no difference. Still get this message screen.

Get this! System recovery has a backup feature, but THEN says that there isn't enough room in the partition section to for a temp file to compress the files I want to save, meaning the backup function is totally useless. Way to go HP

2 HP techs said Using Recovery will absolutely reformat the disk. On the web I thought I noticed an article dealing with a "Hard Recovery" vs a Limited Recovery of some kind. Here are my questions:

1. I there a limited recovery that will allow personal files to remain unaffected?

2. Is it possible that the software is keeping the fan from running, or should buy a new fan when I go to the "big city" tomorrow?

PS: My friend has a device that will let me remove the Hard Drive and back it up to another computer.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:34 AM

See if this is your problem, from Windows Seven Forum -
In ypur case, since you can't boot, remove the Hard Drive and back it up to another computer, or wait for an Expert to help with a solution to your Booting problem -

Thank You -

#3 Quadrillion

Quadrillion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

Thanks. The problems look as though they're related. I read that thread and that of another link at the bottom. The big difference is that I don't have a windows disk, only the HP Recovery disks that they have you create when you open the box. I can't get to the C Prompt. The Recovery Disk basically gets me to The Recovery Console. There are a couple of scan disk/memory options - I ran one and rec'd a "no errors" response. Although this all brings me to the other problem - the fan.

At one point while the black screen is sitting there waiting for me to figure out what to do (the computer had probably been on for between fifteen min and 45 minutes) the laptop simply shuts down and the bottom left side of the unit is pretty hot. It seems to me that the fan needs to be on all the time, regardless of whether this thing boots up properly or not. I think the HP tech gave me bad info - because the fan needs to be on while the computer is going through the reformatting/re-installation process anyway. I'm going to Austin today (70 miles away) and think I'll check out a fan at Frys while I'm there.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts on the fan problem, because I'm not looking forward to installing a new one.

Again, thanks.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hi Quadrillion,

Data Rescue - Option 1
How to Use Puppy Linux to Recover Windows 7 Files When You Can't Boot: See here.
  • In case you need software to burn an "iso" file to CD - See how to write an image file to a disc using ImgBurn.
  • Insert Puppy Linux CD in laptop and press F9 for Boot Menu.
  • You might want to pick up a laptop cooler to use in the short run. It should buy you more powered-on time to diagnose and rescue.
Data Rescue - Option 2
If you are serious about replacing the cooling fan, why not also pick up an adaptor so that you could slave the laptop hard drive to another system for data rescue and to run chkdsk /r.

FWIW:
Here are the Manuals for HP Pavilion dv6-1362nr Entertainment Notebook PC.
  • Download HP Pavilion dv6 Entertainment PC - Maintenance and Service Guide.
  • In the left column, arrow down to Compnent Replacement Procedures -> Fan/heat sink for a How-to.
  • Blow out all the dust. Clean and re-apply thermal paste between heat sink and processor.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 Quadrillion

Quadrillion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

Thanks. Will study this. Have a friend's adapter on my desk right now. Better than the one you linked. Cost about $50. Will backup hard drive first. Funny, but I have a 15"x24" ice pad I use for my neck and back. Just occurred to me today to freeze it an place it beneath the laptop while I'm trying to recover the hard drive. Found out that Fry's does not sell fans for laptops, so if indeed it isn't working, it will take a week to get a new one. Will report back with each step. Thanks.

#6 Quadrillion

Quadrillion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

Sadly, the mystery deepens. Keep in mind that this is the first time I've ever seen a laptop Hard Drive up close. To the left side of the attached picture is the hard drive. In the middle is the adapter that I pulled off of a friends laptop hard drive - he'd been using it. Although depth perception is difficult to discern, this thing looks exactly like what I would expect to plug into the back of a hard drive. Unfortunately, the pins on this Seagate hard drive don't look like anything I've ever seen before. You can see that the adapter will not fit. To the right, is the "plug" I pulled off the back of the hard drive. This HP plug has has a backing of some sort that seems to be snapped onto it and glued in one small spot. Its leads go to an even smaller plug and that's what goes into the computer.

Is this some HP proprietary junk they've thrown in? Can the plug on the right be separated easily into its two parts? And if I do that, will the adapter then plug into the hard drive?

Again, thanks in advance...

Attached Files

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hello,

The hard drive pictured, is a SATA drive. The adapter surface that I see to the right in the picture is for an older IDE (40 pin) drive.

I can't see all of the print on the top of the adapter. Would it per chance say "SATA/IDE to USB Adapter?" I suspect that it does. I have a similar one.

On the end of the SATA hard drive (pictured) are two connections; narrow one for SATA data cable; wider one for power cable. On one end of your black plastic adapter, there should be a slot for the SATA data cable. The entire adapter kit should have come with a SATA data cable, an external A/C power adapter and another small adapter to attach the SATA power cable. see picture
  • top left = A/C conventional hard drive power plug to SATA adapter
  • top 2nd left (red)=SATA data cable
  • bottom right=External AC Power Adapter
If you have all the attachments, this should work.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 Quadrillion

Quadrillion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

You nailed it. In pulling all the stuff from a drawer full of electronics, I missed the RED SATA data cable, mainly because the box and the instructions didn't have a picture, or a very good description. I saw the input on the end, but the HD's SATA cable didn't quite match up. Here's the Vantec unit I borrowed. http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2-Supports-2-5-Inch-5-25-Inch/dp/B000J01I1G/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_z For $15, I think I'll order this thing. Progress! Being without a fast computer to access the web is driving my nuts. Thanks.

Edited by Quadrillion, 12 August 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

Yes, I think that if you own a laptop, you should have one of these adapters handy. Good for any drive for that matter.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#10 Quadrillion

Quadrillion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

Finally, some progress... I received the Vantec adapter assembly from my friend. The pieces were all over the place so I had to guess at what came with the unit, but I'm pretty sure that a SATA power adapter was not included. Fortunately he happened to have one of these too. Used my desktops own power supply to be safe (instead of using the plug in power adapter. Tonight transferring the data to a back up drive via USB 2. Fairly fast.

Interesting note: I can see the HP REcovery partition G: and there are only a few folders. Sitting right there in plain site is a boot folder. Inside it are three files and a "Fonts" folder. Why couldn't that just be backed up somewhere so that I could replace it? I mean the error message says "boot config data file is missing some required information. Anyway, tomorrow morning I'm going to try and read Artrooks comment about recovering Windows 7 files. Then I'll put the drive back in the laptop, place it on an ice pack, turn a fan on it and begin doing the memory tests that the recovery panel provides for.

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Hi Quadrillion,

My post #4 was concerning backing up any important data (pis, files, music) from the non-booting computer. It sounds as if you were successful by slaving the drive to another computer so there is no need for Option one.

While still slaved, run a check disk on the non-booting hard drive:
  • Double click on the "(My) Computer" icon on your desktop or Computer in your Start Menu.
  • Right click on the drive to test and click "Properties."
  • Select "Tools" tab and under "Error checking" click "Check now."
  • Make sure that both of the following boxes are checked.
    • Automatically fix file system errors
    • Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • Click "Start."
  • Check Disk will progress through 5 stages, can take several hours to complete, and may appear to "freeze" at times. It should not be interrupted.
  • A summary of results will appear when finished..

Regards,
Brooks

#12 Quadrillion

Quadrillion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

Artrooks. Just now saw your post, ten minutes after apparently fixing my laptop. Here's a post I left at a site with all of the "ISO stuff." Thanks for the hints Artrooks.

My HP wouldn't boot and I got the exact error described here : http://www.articlesbase.com/data-recovery-articles/resolving-boot-configuration-data-error-0xc000000d-in-windows-7-2449965.html

I called HP tech support. Since the bleepers don't give you a repair disk with your purchase, your only option using their patented (no doubt) recovery console is to WIPE THE ENTIRE DISK.

Certain I would lose important files, I painstakingly backed up the entire hard drive using a friend's SATA / USB adapter. (hours of work). Then it occurred to me to see if there was a way to get my hands on a Recovery Disk.... Bravo! Found a site, but I won't give it here because I get the feeling it's one of those things you don't talk about. Anyway, on a different computer, I burned it using Free ISO Burner (http://www.bootfromcd.com/burn-iso-to-cd/#comment-439) (click around there a little if you'd like) and didn't have to go through any menus. The new disk immediately identified and fixed the boot file and I'm back up and running. I think the fan may even be working, but it is quiet. Thought I heard it come on for just a few second. In any case, no data lost, can't tell I ever had a problem, and wasted days obtaining the adapter etc when all I needed was that recovery disk. Thanks HP:-( What a company (hate to admit it but I like my entertainment laptop.)

It's off right now waiting for me to move it back to the living room where I can watch the Rangers and check it out further (and surf the web!).

Thanks for all the help Artrooks. Once I see that it isn't overheating, I think I'll do a system backup, then run ckdisk. (Always wondered about those ckdisk options - never used them. Now I know.)

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

That's great news, Quadrillion! Glad you are up and running. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Brooks

#14 Quadrillion

Quadrillion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

Post mortem: HP was right about one thing. Without the proper boot instructions, the fan wasn't coming on because it was definitely overheating. Now it is fine. Used it all weekend. Thirty seconds with a repair disc is all it took.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users