Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error at boot : 0xc000000e - The system has failed to start because a required device is inaccessible.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Always Derping

Always Derping

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Okay, so this just happened out of nowhere. Nothing seems to have led up to this -- the system booted and shut down successfully, and no software updates or installs were done during the period of time it was on when it was last working. I've attempted many things, but none seem to work. /ScanOs reports no OS detected, while startup repair said the OS was booted successfully. bcdedit also shows no directories linked to "unknown". CHKDSK reports no bad sectors, so such can be discarded. This happens every time I attempt to boot to Windows 7 (Home Edition, x64). I have a copy of Fedora 17 set to dualboot with it, but it hadn't been booted for over a week before the event. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hi

The /ScanOs switch shows the operating systems installed that aren't already in the BCD so it can show 0 and you are still okay.

Assuming C: is the drive that Win7 is installed on, in the Startup Repair command line can you type
C:
press ENTER
dir
press ENTER
do you see more than one WINDOWS directory?
If C: gives you a "File not found" error, try D: (C: can sometimes be assigned to the otherwise hidden System Reserve volume)

Also does it say anything more on the screen than...
Error at boot : 0xc000000e - The system has failed to start because a required device is inaccessible.
What I mean is, is it a Blue Screen or a Black screen telling you to ...

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer. 2. Choose your language settings, and then click next 3. Click "repair your computer.

James

Edited by James Litten, 10 August 2012 - 07:58 PM.

#3 Always Derping

Always Derping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

Hi

The /ScanOs switch shows the operating systems installed that aren't already in the BCD so it can show 0 and you are still okay.

Assuming C: is the drive that Win7 is installed on, in the Startup Repair command line can you type
C:
press ENTER
dir
press ENTER
do you see more than one WINDOWS directory?
If C: gives you a "File not found" error, try D: (C: can sometimes be assigned to the otherwise hidden System Reserve volume)

Also does it say anything more on the screen than...
What I mean is, is it a Blue Screen or a Black screen telling you to ...

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer. 2. Choose your language settings, and then click next 3. Click "repair your computer.

James

Yes, the black screen you mentioned indeed does show. Anyway, I'm going to attempt those commands. Though, in the Fedora file browser I can only see one Windows directory. I couldn't help but notice a couple of files named winload~1.exe and winload~2.exe are in system32 though... The original winload.exe remains there as well.

EDIT: I ran the commands. There is only one Windows directory.

Edited by Always Derping, 10 August 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

I asked because I've seen dual boots like yours put a second Windows directory in a different case that does not contain the OS files and it confuses the boot loader and gives the error you got but that doesn't sound like your situation.

Have you tried rebuilding the BCD yet? That would be the next thing to try. But you might want to try renaming those extra winload~#.exe files to .bak and see if that fixes it first.

If you need instructions on rebuilding the BCD check here...
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/927392
Let me know if you have any questions or if it says "0 operating systems found" when you try rebuilding the BCD.

James

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

You can also try renaming winload.exe to winload.bak
and
winload~1.exe to winload.exe

If that works, it may require some more work to finish the job properly.

James

#6 Always Derping

Always Derping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

Mk, let's put that to the test. -Struts off do to so.-

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

Just remember to change names back if anything does not work before proceeding to the next thing to try.

Also, if you do the winload rename in Windows command line instead of Fedora, change the attributes so you can see it...

cd windows\system32
attrib winload.exe -s -h -r

The main thing is not to delete anything so you can put it back the way it was after each thing is tried.

James

#8 Always Derping

Always Derping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

winload~1.exe made the error stop showing, but it began a boot sequence similar to a Windows Recovery Disk. I'm going to try winload~2.exe and check back here.

EDIT: winload~2.exe shows 0xc000000e also. Reverting to the original winload.exe.

Edited by Always Derping, 10 August 2012 - 10:28 PM.

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

Have you tried the BCD rebuild yet?

At Windows command prompt...
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

Try reboot.

I've always done that before renaming winload~1.exe to winload.exe in instances that it worked for me.

James

#10 Always Derping

Always Derping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Have you tried the BCD rebuild yet?

At Windows command prompt...
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

Try reboot.

I've always done that before renaming winload~1.exe to winload.exe in instances that it worked for me.

James

Mk, I'll go try that now. I'll edit with the results. I already did that with winload.exe -- to no avail. Now, to winload~1!

#11 Always Derping

Always Derping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

With winload~1.exe, as soon as I opened the repair disk a system restore began, root reason being a corrupted registry. I wasn't able to run CMD at any time. winload~1 does not boot Windows ; testing with winload and winload~2.

EDIT: 0xc000000e on both still. /RebuildBcd is not working, due to the computer being 'unable to find an OS'.

Edited by Always Derping, 11 August 2012 - 12:40 AM.

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:02 AM

Rename the files to their original names
winload.exe
winload~1.exe
winload~2.exe

Can you get to a Windows command prompt in the Windows Startup Repair/System Recovery again (you may have to use the disk)?

If so type
bcdedit /enum
and let me know what the line says for
partition=
for the device value under both the Boot Manager and the Boot Loader or does it say device unknown
If those are listed.

Also, I'm sure you probably did this, but make sure that nothing extra is plugged into the computer. Especially USB flash drives.
If there is one, remove it and try booting and let me know that there was one.

How are you booting into Fedora?

James

EDIT: (It was 3AM and I had just finished cleaning a badly hacked WP site for a client when I typed this response so let me add some to it now that I am awake :) )
Were you doing anything with disk partitions before this happened? Adding or changing the size of them? Did you install new software like backup software or disk utility software?
Usually when this is a problem with a new install it is because the wrong partition is active but since yours happened 'out of the blue', we needed to check the other things first. Any info about what you were doing before this happened could help.

Edited by James Litten, 11 August 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#13 Always Derping

Always Derping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

I wasn't doing anything with partitions until after the event, where I made a NTFS partition on my flash drive. I'm booting into Fedora thanks to the GNU GRUB Bootloader, which proves quite handy in this occasion. Nothing extra was plugged in.

I've renamed the winload*.exe back to their original filenames, going to run those commands. And, no, I had not installed any software the day before, or the day in which the event occured.

#14 Always Derping

Always Derping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

OK, that was one eerie moment. ~ The hard drive failed DST after another system restore, yet CHKDSK failed to report any errors or bad sectors. It got over the failure after reboot. | Well, bcdedit /enum returned this:

Windows Boot Manager
-------------------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=c:
path \bootmgr
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {default}
displayorder {default}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
------------------------------
identifier {default}
device partition=c:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description (recovered)
locale
osdevice partition=c:
systemroot \Windows

#15 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

A couple of questions :)

When you say
I wasn't doing anything with partitions until after the event, where I made a NTFS partition on my flash drive.
Do you mean that you tried rebooting and got the 0xc000000e error and then made an NTFS partition on a flash drive or did you format the flash drive before you first got the error? What did you use to make the partition (we may use that for the next step)?

What is DST as in...
hard drive failed DST
Did it automatically run chkdsk or did you run it? If you ran it, what switches did you use with it?

I need answers to these and I need you to try and let it try to automatically repair itself once more. If it does not work, I'll tell you what to look at next.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users