Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FEDS TO REQUIRE ELECTRONIC DATA RECORDERS IN ALL AUTOS!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 11 November 2004 - 02:08 PM

Privacy Experts Shun Black BoxesWASHINGTON ó Some safety and privacy experts are reacting with apprehension, others with all out condemnation over a recent ruling by the National Transportation Safety Board (search) to require electronic data recorders or "black boxes" in all new cars manufactured in the United States. While privacy experts say jokes like "'big brother' is riding shotgun" arenít funny, the technology already is being used to monitor certain drivers. Black boxes or "EDRs" have been fitted into every General Motors car in its 2004 line and is in a number of Ford models ó about 15 percent of all vehicles on the road today... Global positioning systems are being used by car rental companies to track where renters are going and how fast they are driving. GPS also allows rental car companies to shut off the engine of a car and lock a renter out of it.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2004 - 02:41 PM

Bejamin franklin I think said this

"To stay safe never be secure" something like that.

These new tech stuff that promises security is nothing but a gimmic. We should have the right to say no to things like this! If I didnt ask for a black box dont give me one. Soon we will need sites with tutorials on how to disable spy stuff in our cars and stuff we buy at walmart!

It really is sad!

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 11 November 2004 - 06:54 PM

Is this what you're talking about, cowsgonemadd3?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

~Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), reply of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the
governor, November 11, 1755
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:08 PM

No sorry. I got it......http://members.cox.net/classicweb/Heroes/heroes.htm
"The way to be safe is never to be secure"
Benjamin franklin

Well yeah that also makes sense!

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:58 AM

The more and more technology invades, and improves, our daily lives, the more freedom can succomb to its use; just because we can do all these wonderful and neat things, doesn't mean we have to. And because technology is a mystery to many people, the ramifications to all these innovations to the future is obscured, especially when once the foot is put in the doorway.
I don't know which I fear most, a government by clerics or a government by technicians.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users