Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

volume control disappeared--how restore?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

Hi All, Appreciate help in restoring Windows XP and its volume control.

Sounds disappeared shortly after microsoft recommended Fix Cleaner took control of my desktop to cure a problem with the print spooler, which they did do.

All of a sudden two things happened.

1. Volume adjustment disappeared and I have no sound.

2. A program called RECUVER appeared on my desktop - I didn't put it there.

3. I notice sound driver was changed to IDT 1, or something like that.

I am miffed that a windows recommended program seems to have done this -beware of giving anyone control of your desktop.

Would appreciate all comments as well as help with the volume and sound restoration.
I did run the XP Media disk, and although it said it reinstalled the media, still no sounds and no volume control. Don't know where else to turn.

There do appear to be other sound programs installed, named Legacy. Could I utilize these?

Appreciate your input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

Sounds disappeared shortly after microsoft recommended Fix Cleaner

Sadly FixCleaner is just another ""Registry Cleaner"" program that is not worth having on your computer -
When you said Microsoft reccomended it, who installed this program on your system. you or someone else ??????
If you installed it, then you have simply made a bad choice. If someone else installed it, they know very little about computers -

There may still be a way to recover some of your listed itms, But only after Fix Cleaner is fully removed .....................................
What ever the answer is, you need to remove this program NOW or it mat do more damage to your system -

Please Read >>>>

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Ed Bott's Webog: Why I don't use registry cleaners

Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

Thank You -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

<<Sounds disappeared shortly after microsoft recommended Fix Cleaner took control of my desktop...>>

http://www.fixcleaner.com/

Information note...a Microsoft Partner...is not a reccommendation or suggestion by Microsoft to employ any program. It's merely a business relationship, not an endorsement of every product spawned/sold by that organizational entity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Certified_Partner

<<A program called RECUVER appeared on my desktop...>>

Is this part of your investment in FixCleaner?

Bottom line...I suggest you uninstall the aforementioned program, then run the chkdsk /r command.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot. The command will execute and boot into Windows upon completion.

<<I am miffed that a windows recommended program seems to have done this...>>

Windows...does not recommend programs. Microsoft only suggests/recomments programs which are developed by Microsoft. What you took as a "recommendation from Microsoft" was never intended to be taken as such...it merely defines a titular business relationship.

Louis

#4 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

Sounds disappeared shortly after microsoft recommended Fix Cleaner

Sadly FixCleaner is just another ""Registry Cleaner"" program that is not worth having on your computer -
When you said Microsoft reccomended it, who installed this program on your system. you or someone else ??????
If you installed it, then you have simply made a bad choice. If someone else installed it, they know very little about computers -

There may still be a way to recover some of your listed itms, But only after Fix Cleaner is fully removed .....................................
What ever the answer is, you need to remove this program NOW or it mat do more damage to your system -

Please Read >>>>

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Ed Bott's Webog: Why I don't use registry cleaners

Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

Thank You -

#5 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

Thank you both for your responses. I will uninstall fixcleaner, which was, by the way, Hamluis, clearly recommended by Microsoft on its web site. Thank you.

p.s. Still would like to know how to reinstall volume control which neither of you wrote about, except to uninstall fixcleaner first, which I will do. I will also uninstall RECUVER.

Would appreciate comments on how to get volume control back so I can get sounds on my computer.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

recommended by Microsoft on its web site.

Hi -
Unless we are not reading the same sites, it never says "Recommended by Microsoft"
It says "Microsoft Certified Partner" on the site, which only means that they pay a fee to buy that logo and no more -

Please read the link from Wiki that hamluis has left, and you will find this statement, as quoted exactly and directly from that page
<<A Microsoft Certified Partner is an independent company that provides Microsoft-related products or services >> and no more than that

If you do have another site that contradicts this we are more than happy to see it -
Did Microsoft directly say to you to install the program, and for what reason did they say that to you ??

We can not try to fix a broken leg while you are still walking on it - (My quote only) -

Thank You -

#7 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

All right guys, I uninstalled FixCleaner ( which was marked "microsoft certified", for your information, and also Recuva ( I don't know where this came from but must be connected with Fix Cleaner.

In defense of FixCleaner, I was having a severe problem with Print Spooler shutting off and asked FixCleaner to remedy same and they did - so they can't be all bad!

Anyway, at this point, I want to get Volume Control reinstalled on my computer. Will someone tell me where to get this? It is not on my XP small Buseinss Media Disk which I got with this computer. Unfortunately, Gateway did NOT give me an XP Home Edition installation disk, as many manufacturers don't do.

Can I get this volume control from Microsoft or some other source? I would like to restore sound to my computer.

44 Guy

#8 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hi, I can still read, folks. I was having a print spooler problem. I e mailed Microsoft. They said Quote: "we recommend the below microsoft certified product".

The product was FixCleaner. I downloaded same and purchased it -and, despite all of you naysayers, the DID fix the print spooler problem--it was constantly shutting off.
After they worked on it, the print spooler has been working perfectly.

HOWEVER, I did apparently lose the volume control on my computer and I am still waiting for one of you computer geniuses to advise me how to get it back.

Despite your protestations, that is exactly the way it happend.

44 Guy

recommended by Microsoft on its web site.

Hi -
Unless we are not reading the same sites, it never says "Recommended by Microsoft"
It says "Microsoft Certified Partner" on the site, which only means that they pay a fee to buy that logo and no more -

Please read the link from Wiki that hamluis has left, and you will find this statement, as quoted exactly and directly from that page
<<A Microsoft Certified Partner is an independent company that provides Microsoft-related products or services >> and no more than that

If you do have another site that contradicts this we are more than happy to see it -
Did Microsoft directly say to you to install the program, and for what reason did they say that to you ??

We can not try to fix a broken leg while you are still walking on it - (My quote only) -

Thank You -

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot. The command will execute and boot into Windows upon completion.

Please note the first repair idea listed by hamluis in his post -
This will take on average 1 hour to complete all 5 stages of the program -

Thank You -

Spelling Edit -

Edited by noknojon, 11 August 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

If you have restore point before installing fixcleaner,you can try a system restore.If you dont have restore points

Try this to get back your volume control

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319095

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

2 extra quick ideas to add to narenxp from Kelleys Korner -

XP fixes from Kelleys Korner -

Where did my Sounds go?
Restore System Sound: This generally happens when the Windows Audio Service does not stay started. This edit resolves the issue.
Either click here or see line 371: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If this is not the case, this is: Either click here or see line 320: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Regards -

Edited 1 link -

Edited by noknojon, 11 August 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#12 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

Thank you, Noknojon - an Australian John Lennon fan, I see?

I will do the chkdsk /r[/b] and I will look for the administrative services for sound services also.

Thank you, 44 Guy

Please note the first repair idea listed by hamluis in his post -
This will take on average 1 hour to complete all 5 stages of the program -

Thank You -

Spelling Edit -

#13 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Narenxp -Thank you for the restore point reminder. I should have thought of that myself. Of course I have prior restore points. Great thinking!

I'll try it. You guys are great! 44 guy

If you have restore point before installing fixcleaner,you can try a system restore.If you dont have restore points

Try this to get back your volume control

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319095

#14 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

44 guy here. I tried Microsoft Fix It, which goes through the motions and says everything is operating properly, but it's not and I still cannot get any sound from this computer.

I went into administrative services and the sound serve was ON.

I tried going to two restore points and when I press restore, a message comes back that it can't restore this point. Never had that happen before. Any suggestions, all you computer geniuses out there? There has got to be a way to fix this.

44 guy

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

Are you using on board sound (sound port on the motherboard) or a separate sound card? Legacy sounds as if it could be on board sound.

Open up Device Manager. Look under Sound, video and game controllers. Do you see any yellow triangles next to anything listed there?

You mention

I notice sound driver was changed to IDT 1, or something like that

This is a shot in the dark. Go to Control Panel/Sound and Audio Devices.

Audio tab. What is listed in Sound Playback as the default device? If there is a drop down arrow, click the arrow and if a different device shows up choose it as the default device. Click Apply to save the change.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 August 2012 - 04:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users