Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the difference between making a clone of a "partition" and the "disk"?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:10 AM

Hi people,

I just recently used XP to do a fresh install. I had an external hd hooked up at the same time. I accidently deleted the partition in the Windows setup.

As far as I know, when you delete/create a partition, it only formats the hd.
But when I tried to recover the lost data with 3 recovery programs and 4 7 hour failed runs, I found that no lost data could be found.

Somehow the XP "delete partition" is the same as a killdisk COMPLETE wipe. I lost 20 Gigs of data. I was not able to recover ANY files!!!!

Now I want to figure out how to make a backup so that this doesn't happen again. I have made a clone, but it was the VERY first time that I have done so. I am not quite sure if I have done it correctly. AND, I have not restored a clone, even once, so I do not know this process.

What is the difference between making a clone of a "partition" and the "disk"?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

The hard disk could have three partitions for example, in which case cloning the disk would clone all three at the same time.

On the other hand a drive with three partitions and doing a partition clone would only do the one partition selected.

It is quite normal these days with Windows 7 and a brand name computer to see several partitions. For example Dell. You could have
1. diagnostics partition
2. Recovery partition
3. The actual OS partition
4. a 100Mb partition that Win7 creates.

Hope that is clear enough, if not ask me for more details.
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:21 AM

I have not restored a clone, even once, so I do not know this process.

Referring to your clone system drive, it is also time to test your backup drive to make sure it is running properly.

Tekken

#4 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

Nice to meet you :thumbsup:

Diagnostic's partition? Never heard of such a thing!!! I have heard of a recovery partition.So when you say a "recovery partition", this is a partition that is completely empty, like with say 20 Gigs, or with data that you can erase at any time if you need to use it? And how would you use a diagnostic partition? Would this be a partition with a second OS installed or something?

And what exactly is the 100mb partition that W7 makes? I have not run W7. I am running XP. And as far as I know, Vista does not do this do this; and neither does XP -- unless it is a hidden partition, which I have only just recently heard about. Is the W7 100mb partition like a "virtual drive" or something. I have seen programs do this -- by loading the program into RAM, such as with a Live CD.

jahayz,
what is a "clone system drive"? Is this the clone copy that I made or are you referring to the hd?

So what you are saying is that you want me to test out the clone?

NOTE
During the cloning process, I first

1st try: I tried making a clone the first time, but ran into the "Low Disk Space" issue, because I tried to save the clone onto the same drive. This is when I found out that you need to do it on ANOTHER drive.
2nd try: Resized the drive. Attempted to clone. New clone started to make a 20 Gig clone even though I had resized the hd!
3rd try: I made a partition on the "unallocated space" section of the resized hd. I made a clone on another drive

QUESTION
By what I have done, is my clone file a "partition clone" or a "disk clone"?

QUESTION
You HAVE to use the same program that you made the clone with inorder to "restore" the clone?
[The destination hd has to be formatted to "restore" the clone]
What is the correct method to "restore" a clone? [basic steps]
Have I done this process correctly?

Captain Kirk

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

Diagnostic's partition? Never heard of such a thing!!! Many (Most) Dell computers have a diagnostic partition that can be run when the computer is turned on to test all the hardware outside of windows.

I have heard of a recovery partition The Recovery partition holds the necessary files to recover the computer back to like new as far as software and windows.

And what exactly is the 100mb partition that W7 makes?
100MB system reserved partition

The 100MB partition is a system partition and contains boot files. Disk Manager will not allow you to remove this partition because removing this partition could cause the system to not boot.

By what I have done, is my clone file a "partition clone" or a "disk clone"?
A disk clone has to be done to a different physical drive. or it isn't a disk clone.

If you create a partition to make a new drive letter and then clone to that on the same physical drive then it would have to be considered a partition clone.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 August 2012 - 10:00 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:22 AM

It is also worth asking of what software you used to clone a drive? These softwares have support,documentation and manual online. General term for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning

Tekken

#7 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:43 AM

So the diagnostic partition is a "hidden partition" that only the computer can use?

The Recovery Partition is a partition that you create, or is this ANOTHER hidden partition that only the computer can use?

I saved the clone onto a flashdrive:
In the last post, I said,
"I made a clone on another drive"

I am using Active Partition Recovery Enterprise v6

QUESTION
[Let's say that it was a "partition clone" for example. This clone has my OS on it; and it is saved onto a DVD. I have NEVER restored a clone so I am completely in the dark about how exactly to do this. And by the way, this is the FIRST time that I have made a program, so I am completely new to this whole process!]

If:
1> I was to format my entire hd
2> Then resize it to the size that I made for the clone
3> Copy the clone from the DVD onto the hd
4> Resize my hd back to its original 20 Gig size

Then:
If I booted, would my OS boot up?
[Clone restore successful]

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

So the diagnostic partition is a "hidden partition" that only the computer can use?
The Diagnostic partition is created by the manufacturer of the computer to use with that make and model computer. It won't work elsewhere.

The Recovery Partition is a partition that you create, or is this ANOTHER hidden partition that only the computer can use?
The Recovery Partition is created be the manufacturer of the computer to use with that make and model computer. It won't work elsewhere.
Both of those need to be supported in the Bios.

If:
1> I was to format my entire hd
2> Then resize it to the size that I made for the clone
3> Copy the clone from the DVD onto the hd
4> Resize my hd back to its original 20 Gig size

Then:
If I booted, would my OS boot up?
[Clone restore successful]

You have to use the software you made the clone with to put it back. Depends how you cloned it, But copying will not work.
I would not do what you propose to do. What would you do if it was a bad clone and now your computer does not boot. You just took a working windows and replaced it with a non working windows.

What you are thinking about doing can lead to a non working computer.

I believe you need to read the manual for the software you are using to clone. That parts about cloning and restoring.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 12 August 2012 - 09:08 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:39 AM

After re reading your first post about deleted partition and trying to recover, try here http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step
Cloning a drive is used mainly for users who have no retail or recovery disc or partition for their computer. The cloning of your Windows, programs, files and settings to another hard drive of same or equal capacity would be the exact image after successfully following the procedure of the software you have used. In testing a successful cloned drive is to swap the original OS drive from the other drive you have used to make an image and connect it interanlly as the current internal OS with all your programs and files intact. Some popular free softwares that are recommended are :
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

Edited by jhayz, 13 August 2012 - 02:40 AM.

Tekken

#10 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

Thanx for the link :clapping: Yes, that's the general steps that I used for recovery. Here's what I was wondering:

QUESTION
[If you delete/create partition, followed by a format entire hd]:
Can the data on the hd be recovered at this point?

The program that I used to make a clone is called, "Active Partition Recovery Enterprise v6".
This is what I did:
> I created a raw disk image [of selected hd]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users