Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you save your bookmarks onto your hd?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:46 AM

Hi Everybody,

I do not want to save my bookmarks on the internet. I want to save them in a file on my hd.
[I would like to manually do this by selecting all bookmarks and copying them myself -- if I knew how to do this]

Maybe I'll just start from scratch and figure out how to do this again -- so that I will be able to restore them.

I just reinstalled windows and am trying to restore my previous settings. I was wondering how to do that, specifically with the bookmarks.

I originally saved my bookmarks with an export, and I have the saved file. But for the life of me, I cannot seem to get my bookmarks back. I have tried all of the options.

I am using the internet browser, google chrome.

Does anybody know how to do this?
How do you restore saved bookmarks?
I am not able to restore them

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

You described half the process I used for importing bookmarks to another form of the browser I use and our browsers are similar, both being related to google Chrome. Browser has an "Export" and an "Import" feature. You should have an html folder of files from your "Export" bookmarks action, somewhere on your harddrive. You should be able to "Import" this file according to its path, or where you saved it or where you placed it.

With my browser, I go to the main tool icon, click on the Bookmarks item, and I find an item, "Import bookmarks and settings...", which should give you your choices to make.

#3 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Hopefully slightly improved advice:
As long as you exported and know where your folder of bookmarks is located, open the tool main menu in your chrome-based browser, pick Settings, find the heading "User", and there you should find an "Import bookmarks" button. Follow from there.

#4 snaffle

snaffle

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

While these methods work to transfer bookmarks browser to browser, you can also save to your own generic file. Open a new file folder & name it "bookmarks" with a date. Then use the export function, in your browser, to transfer the bookmarks to that new file. The bookmarks saved, will be in the format of the browser that exported them. IE format differs from firefox & chrome. To use the bookmarks in a different browser, once again you will need to use the import function under the tools...bookmarks, buttons. If its the same browser you can copy & paste in the file directory. Again, each browser has a different file name & location, in their directory, where they store the bookmarks. Based on your post I'm thinkin' your level of expertise should not give you the confidence to muck around in there. It's quite easy to jostle or bump the wrong thing, and then the browser or your bookmarks are .....lost.......forever.......ahhhh! .....snaffle

#5 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

No, my first exported save file is a .json extension file. I tried it a different way and got a HTML single file. But this bookmark save process did NOT produce a folder with all of my links. It would be nice if it did because that is "exactly" what I want!!

When I tried to import, I was not able to select a file as you say. Here's what happened: :busy:

I went to "customize and control google chrome".
"Bookmarks"
"Import bookmarks and settings"

Option: "from internet explorer" or
"google toolbar"

I clicked, "import"

It said, "success"
Then, just when I was giddy with happiness, I figured I check the "bookmark manager" just to see if they were there.

None of my bookmarks were there! The bookmarks file is saved on my hd. I now realized that it had not allowed me to select a file....

#2,
I did what you said, I went to "settings" and "user" did not show up on this list. I think you have to sign in to use this option, or even for it to SHOW UP! This is NOT the method that I used in the "Export" process...

I do not, did not, want to save my bookmarks ONLINE, and so I did not use this option.

Therefore, the "exported" file that I am trying to restore is saved on my hd, not on the internet, like cloud or something -- or wherever those things are saved, I do not know [online].

Snaffle,
I tried your suggestion. I selected the "recent" name with a star in "bookmark manager". Then clicked "orgranize", and this option showed up! However, when I went to check it, I noticed that it was grayed out and I could not select it [I clicked it several times], as it was not an available option to me, even though it showed up on the list!!!

But you know what the strange thing is? When I selected/highlighted a default folder that was already there instead of the "recent" name, when I went to "orgranize", it did not even show up on the list...

Therefore I could not "create" a new folder!

Capain Kirk

#6 snaffle

snaffle

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

Mr. Kirk, get a grip on yourself man, you'll get your photon torpedos in a knot if you keep this up.

You wrote," my first exported save file is a .json extension file. I tried it a different way and got a HTML single file." Ah Ha it appears you're on your way to success!
Once you know the names & whereabouts of these files you can save them to a file folder you create Save both files & give them names w/ dates so you can access them later or overwrite with newer sets. You're confused about where these files are normally stored by the software. They are "hidden" from you, under your "user profile". (p.s. don't go here, you'll tripwire some file or setting and then it's woe onto you brother.) These files only exist on your hard drive. Nothing ever goes from your computer to the web or cloud unless you tell it to. i.e. E-mails you send, files you store to the cloud, always, and only, by your hand does this info leave your box.(except for malware hacking)

Now I assume you're using chrome as your browser. This is the only browser that hides everything. It also limits your choices as to where you can import from. So the work around is as follows.

1.Save your bookmarks by exporting to a file you've created, or by exporting to a new browser. Export chrome to IE, or firefox, or safari.

2.If you save to your own file, firefox & IE allow you to name the import file, use them as an intermediary, import from your file to IE, or firefox, then open chrome & import from IE, or firefox.

3.As stated previous, each browser uses it's own file format for bookmarks, that's why you need to import & export, there's a conversion going on. You need to know which file to export, by type. As I recall,IE uses HTML,firefox uses .json. I'm not sure what format chrome uses.

All I can say about your previous experience is I'm not sure what happened. If you have bookmarks in IE, and you tell chrome to import, and it says success, the bookmarks should be there!

#7 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

Are the bookmark links in a hidden file in the "Documents and Settings" folder? ALL I want to do is "copy" them. That's it.

Do you happen to know what folder that they are located in? I want to take a look.

Don't worry about me messing things up, I can always reinstall Windows, and I have no bookmarks right now, as this IS a new Windows install. I am trying to restore PREVIOUS bookmarks that I had saved onto it. Failing that, I want to figure out how to get to the raw file folder to do it myself manually -- because apparently the computer isn't smart enough/compatible enough to be about to restore this process back to its original state.

And yes, I did say, "success". That's what I thought *applause*; However, when I went ot check, the ONLY thing that was different, was just a couple of the default "generic" IE bookmark links, such as to "MSN.com" and "Radio Station Guide" -- but these are NOT my bookmarks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users