Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you install an OS from the "internal network adapter boot"?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

Hello Cyberpeople,
How's everyone?

My computer has an option in the Bios and in the boot menu for the "internal network adapter boot."

Can I use this to install an OS?

[Compaq Evo N610c]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

A quick quote from a M/soft MVP about internal network adapter boot -

It should be disabled unless the PC is part of a network that requires it.
When it is enabled, it is possible for a determined hacker to boot your PC remotely and access it. It is not very likely to happen, but it pays to err on the safe side.

Thank You -

#3 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

Glad to meet you! :thumbup2:

Wow, awesome advice -- I'll make sure to keep it "disabled"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Before my computer crashed, I did not need this feature to be part of the network, but then again, that is because I was using a PCI card. So what you are saying is that even if I figure out how to use this feature to access the local network without having to use the PCI card, that I shouldn't do this?

Because here is the situation:
I just upgraded the Modem to the newest model and so this requires that I need a new network connection -- my old PCI card cannot be used for it [the new modem]. Even if I have to go out and pay 24$ for a USB network adapter?

Captain Kirk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users