Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I delete hidden data I did not put on my hd?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:51 AM

Hello All,

I did a fresh install of windows. The used space was 3.75 Gigs.
I opened a couple of rar files, and saved the data to a flashdrive.
Why does my hd now have 5.17 Gigs of used space, I did not save ANYTHING to the hd.

I looked at where the extra space is, and it appears that this in in the windows "documents and settings" folder. The size of this folder is the exact amount that I am missing. How do I delete this data that I did not put on the hd!

I opened the recycle bin, and it is not there to empty.
Why does this data have to be in a "hidden" place that I cannot delete?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:21 AM

i use atf temp file cleaner ,so start with that .
http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=4949&file=15&evp=72ef5a5e927b2276e6a5bc34c89d005a

also you could set windows to show hidden file and folders to see if it shows the files in documents ans settings folder ,likely in the app data folder 'it maybe be needed files so i wouldn't be so quick to delete the files you find
how to
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_fcab_show_file_extensions.mspx?mfr=true

Edited by caperjac, 10 August 2012 - 05:53 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

Do you have system restore enabled?

Louis

#4 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

How are you doing? :clapping:

Does this temp cleaner program only delete files from the "prefetch" folder, or does it do more than that? I prefer to do this process manually -- its only that I need to know which folders to do this with. But if you don't know which folders to delete all the files in, then I may just end up using this program. The program looks safe. But even if this program can do it, I would still like to know the folders that it is going to to complete this process.

Louis,
Yes I do. That's a most excellent idea. I just hope that my save point has not been overwritten yet [default = minimal space allocated to restore files]. You think that this would work to change my current 5.17 Gigs back to the original 3.75 Gigs? I heard that system restore only changes settings, and does not alter data already on the hd.

Captain Kirk

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

SR saves backup copies of files...which can be restored when the function is used. It's normal for free space to fluctuate without any obvious activity by the user.

Also...depending on whether or not you are using a backup program, it may be making copies of files on the system. Depends upon the program, as to how it functions.

http://www.petri.co.il/whats_system_restore_in_windows_xp.htm

Louis

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:16 AM

A Screen shot of ATF Cleaner that I use several times a week -
You can be selective, but they are all basically Temp Files
[attachment=128410:ATF Cleaner.JPG] I normally just click Select All > Empty Selected > OK > Exit -

#7 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

Do you have system restore enabled?

QUESTION
Can the SR restore my computer from its current 5.14 Gigs, to the original 3.75 Gigs that it had just after a fresh windows install?

Okay, I didn't think about the hd space that SR takes up. So is the default file size for SR 2 Gigs?I have a 20 Gig hd. But now that we're talking about the SR, before my system crashed, and which was the CAUSE of the crash, I just recently ran into a situation where I needed to delete all of the SR saves. Is there a way to do that?

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

I opened a couple of rar files, and saved the data to a flashdrive.

It's possible you have extracted the file to documents and settings folder then copied it to a flash drive...? What path is the folder located in the documents and settings? You can unhide this folder by just right-clicking the folder and unchecking Hidden. BUT you need to specify the correct location before making any changes.

Tekken

#9 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:25 AM

As far as I know, in the "process" of copying a file to another drive, it first saves it to your hd, and THEN it copies to the other drive location.

Anyways, problem solved. I looked in the hidden fiolder, and found it.
It turns out the "temp" file had ALL of the unaccounted for space in it!

I would have used the disk clean up program, and I'm sure it would have done the EXACT same thing, but I wanted to delete them manually. I got my hd back down to its original 3.75 Gigs.
Google takes up 350 MB!! -- Wow.

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:23 AM

you can setup your browsers to delete temp internet file on shutdown and not save History and searches and if you want and java wait t ill you watch something in java if you ever do ,it has a Cache too ,
the ATF program save a lot of time as it cleans all that stuff for you

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#11 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Another thing to look at is the settings in winrar. See where the temp folder is set for winrar and go check that folder. You can delete whats in that temp folder for winrar.

Since you were unzipping rar files its possible those files went to that temp folder.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#12 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

I may end up using the ATF anyways. It probably is quicker. But my main concern WAS the entire "2 Gigs" of space. That was the main issue. But now that that's solved, yes, the ATF is starting to look nice.

I didn't know that you could look at the settings for Winrar. I'll have to take a closer look at that program.

#13 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

Great let us know how it all goes, and yes there are quite a bit of options available in winrar.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#14 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

Since your interested in hidden data, and you said that you wanted to know how it turned out. Well, my other computer crashed last time because I was not able to delete the system restore files. Do you happen to know how to delete these, as they are "hidden" as far as being able to delete them?

I do not know how to do this.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:52 AM

If you turn off the SR function...those files should go away and that space on the hard drive...becomes available again.

Windows XP System Restore Guide - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial56.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users