Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBI Moneypack - can't reboot into safe mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tnbagwell

tnbagwell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

Sigh. Looks like I got nailed. I have an ASUS netbook I don't use that often running Windows XP. I run MSE on it regularly. Still, I just went to wake it up and it was showing the FBI Warning page regarding illegal software and how to "pay the fine." I re-booted, and it immediately goes to a blank white screen with "Navigation to the webpage was canceled".

It won't let me re-boot into safe mode, and it doesn't run long enough before freezing on the white screen for me to run an antimalware program.

I just managed to squeak in fast enough to run ipconfig/all. The DNS numbers actually appear to be okay, so it's not DNS Changer. A helpful person on another forum identified it as FBI Moneypack and directed me here. I tried following the directions elsewhere on the site, and am stuck.

It won't let me reboot into safe mode. I tried F8 with no success, so I went into msconfig and checked 'SAFEBOOT', still with no success. "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this."

Being a netbook, there's no drive, just USB ports. Since Windows came pre-installed, I have no boot software in any case.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Ah, Reveton. That's what it is.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 10 August 2012 - 12:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tnbagwell

tnbagwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:44 AM

It's been resolved with a recovery installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users