Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Back-up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 juliemango

juliemango

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:26 AM

Hello anyone. My problem started so innocently. For some reason, my Popup Buster program kept asking me for my "Network Password"...which of course I can't remember, 'cause I don't ever use one. Not thinking, I restored a back-up I did in Mar'05 with the help of one of our members. This however, was when my system was totally screwed up. So now I've lost Symantec, and when I go to Settings>Control Panel, first off, all options are now on a side panel- not in a folder as before, and when I >Add/Remove Programs...there is NOTHING in the folder. When I try installing Norton from the CD, it tells me that the feature I'm trying to use is on a CD ROM or other removable disc that is not available, insert the Norton AV 2005 CD, hit "OK" and use feature form "[ProductName] LABEL." I am completely lost and frustrated. Can anyone please help????!!!

Thanks a mil'.

Juliemango

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:59 AM

You could try the following. The are freeware antivirus programs and are as good as the paid verisons. The just do not have as many bell & whistles.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

I prefer AVG, but they are all top of the line programs.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 juliemango

juliemango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:46 AM

Thanks Acklan. I was actually going to re-word by problem because there are two key issues here.

(1) How do I get back the installed programs in my "Add/Remove Programs" folder through Settings>Control Panel>... With this I could then uninstall & re-install Norton. By the way, I already download AVG because I can't be on the net without some form of protection. Thanks for the suggestion though.

(2) Can I regain my original Registry... to the point where my only problem was the "Enter Network Password" ? Or do I have to re-install Windows 2000?

Thanks again, Acklan. Have a great day.

Juliemango

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:12 AM

Where did you export the registry to?

What is the popup buster program and is it still working?

Have you looked for the programs themselves on your programs folder on your root drive, usually C? Norton for one needs its own uninstaller in many cases and I think its available on its webpage.

#5 juliemango

juliemango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

Thank you Enthusiast. I just got your reply. I tried to repair Windows 2000 but mucked things up more, to the point it could not boot up totally. I just took it to a technician and had it repaired. I hated doing that because I still don't know what happened. Anyway, thanks for your assistance. Have a great weekend.

Juliemango

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:54 AM

It is always a good idea to back-up the registry at regular intervals. That way you can restore it when you have a problem.

You should also create an Emergency Repair Disk:

How to Create an Emergency Repair Disk in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231777/

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 March 2006 - 07:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users