Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After virus attack my background wallpaper gone, desktop icons disappeared and start menu nearly empty.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 franksdaughter

franksdaughter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

After virus attack my background wallpaper gone, desktop icons disappeared except for Mozilla and recycle bin and start menu nearly empty except for the start search at the bottom.Rogue.Fake HDD and Plum.hyjack.Startmenu attacked and I'd really like to get my computer back to being useful again. It believe my data is all there - I can access word documents by naming them individually or requesting into the search menu. I access google by searching for google.ca in the start search and I managed to find Windows Mail which seems to be all there - but its hard to function well without icons and start menu programs etc. I'm afraid I'm a complete tiresome newbie when it comes to this. I did get rid of the virus(s)(successfully I hope) with a copy of malware byes I had on the computer - it actually stopped working and disappeared from my desktop but I managed to get it back and I disconnected from my router and after a long time did manage to get rid of all the virus - 7 in all 4 of them FAKE.HDD and two PLUM.HYJACK.STARTMENU (according to maleware bytes). Can someone help me? Is there a way I can get my desktop and startmenu back to looking normal (or returned to its former condition)?

Edited by franksdaughter, 09 August 2012 - 04:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Download

UNHIDE

Run it.This should unhide your files

good luck

#3 franksdaughter

franksdaughter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

Thank you - I can't believe how well this worked - I'm totally "back" up and running. Icons and startup menu are now back on my desktop.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

You're welcome :)

You can read about the program here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users