Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive access

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

I have a multi-boot machine with 5 drives internal and 2 external. The internal drives are a primary, two test drives, one that holds the clean Ghost images of the test drives, a W8 drive with nothing else loaded and a file storage drive. I have access to the primary, the W8 and the storage drives. One of the test drives I cannot access and the other will not reformat. One of the externals is my Ghost backup drive. The other is currently empty. I need help with the 2 test drives so I can have them ready for beta testing.
Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2012 - 04:45 PM.
Moved from Malware Removal Logs to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

Error messages, please?

Why did you post your topic...in a malware forum, rather than a hardware forum?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#3 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

There are no error messages. I reformatted the drives to reimage them so they would be ready for a beta test. The message I get now for one drive is that windows cannot complete the format. No message and no access to the other drive. In fact when it is connected I am unable to access the system.

I posted here because I thought it was the appropriate place. I did not consider the problems to be hardware. If I'm in error I appologize and request that the messages be moved to the correct location or deleted and tell me where to repost and I will do so.

Thanks
Dick

Dick E

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

:thumbup2: , no problem...I just wanted to eliminate the possibility that you knew/suspected infection.

As you can see, I've moved it to a more appropriate forum :).

IME, which isn't as extensive as others here...inability to boot a system with a given drive attached...probably means that the drive is dead (if the drive has been formerly useable).

I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...available at the website of the respective hard drive manufacturer...on each drive, before ever attempting to image or install an O/S. If the diagnostics reveal no problems, then it's easy to go forward with other troubleshooting steps.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

Louis,

Thank you sir.

First for miving my message into the correct area and second for continuing to help.

I didn't know what to suspect. Until I tried to reimage both drives had been workiing as expected. Both are less than a year old.
They are seagate drives so I will connect one at a time and see what I can see.
I'll report back with the results of the tests.

Dick

Edited by dicke, 10 August 2012 - 11:19 PM.

Dick E

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

Louis,

Update. Ran the Seagate diagnostics and got no errors, Said to format the drive to do anything more. Attempted to format. Windows said it couldn't format after reaching 99%
Used wipeinfo to try again. Still reaches 99% then fails using 2 different wipe schemes. I have the screen shots but don't know how to upload them
Enough for now.
Dick

Dick E

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

Just to clarify...you ran SeaTools for DOS...long test...on each drive...and each passed?

Some run the short and long tests, I see no point in that and prefer just running the extensive, long test. Just using the short test can be misleading.

Louis

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

Louis,

Ran the long test on the one drive and got no errors. Tried to format and it would not - error message at 99% bad sector cannot format, followed by cannot format all sectors
Second drive ran for a period without any messages, errors, etc. then allowed that it could not access drive.
I took a short cut from there and checked the warranty on both - in warranty
I have requested RMAs on both and will trade them out when the new ones arrive.

We can continue to try to access and format then reimage them if you need the challange but I don't want you to continue if you have better things to do.

Thanks for your patience and assistance. Hope we can chat again, without any problems or missteps on my part.

Dick
Stay well and surf safe

Edited by dicke, 11 August 2012 - 06:38 PM.

Dick E

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

Sounds good, RMA is always a good option, IMO.

Strange that the SeaTools utility gives the drives a pass, but something is wrong if Seagate is willing to follow the RMA procedure.

Thanks for keeping us informed :).

Louis

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Louis,

I still don't understand the whole thing either. The system was working well, all drives doing their thing as configured. Both tests released new builds so, I did what I always do in these cases reformat [most of the time] and reimage with an image that has never had the test software installed. Did both without checking results [my bad]. Rebooted and nothing worked right. Pulled the system out from under the desk and went to work. Disconnected all drives and started trying to boot one at a time. Normally all but one should boot as they are configured with an operating system. The main drive came back as did the W8 test drive. The one I could never access and the other said it needed to be reformatted and then gave the bad sector message.
Maybe someday I'll learn what it was but until then I'll come ask for help whenever I find myself in a hole again.

Again, thanks for your understanding and patience with a new member here. You are the > :wizard:

Dick E

#11 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

Louis,

Your question about the long test and no error made me question my memory

Reran the long test - ne error
dialog said drive needed to be formatted, went with the long format - it failed.

Time to quit and wait for the new drives :whistle:

Again thanks :thumbsup:

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users