Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Completely Confused - Windows 7 Freezing Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 soloviola7871

soloviola7871

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

OK. I am completely confused. Here is my current situation with all attempts to alleviate the problem.

I have three operating systems on my computer--two on my Seagate Momentus XT internal drive and one on my Western Digital Caviar Blue external drive that is docked via eSATA. Windows 7 and Windows 8 are on my internal drive while Windows XP is on the external. Windows 7 is the ONLY operating system that freezes after a certain period of time; the others behave perfectly, even Windows 8 which is on the same internal drive as Windows 7. Prior to the installation of either operating system, I wiped the drive clean with Acronis DriveCleanser so that I could be sure I was starting fresh. When installing Windows 7 I did install it using an installation disk I made myself, a disk onto which I manually slipstreamed Service Pack 1--I didn't use RT Win 7 Lite. That being said, I still had this same problem after restoring the computer to factory settings in a previous fix attempt.

In terms of programs worth mentioning I have installed on my Windows 7 installation, I have Bitdefender Total Security 2013 installed along with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (there has never been a problem before a few months ago), and TuneUp Utilities 2012. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but I don't think it hurts to mention them. I have the same programs on Windows XP and again, it works like a charm (Windows 8 isn't compatible with Bitdefender--that's why I don't have Bitdefender on Windows 8). One other program that may be of interest is Reimage Repair. I used it and it repaired problems it found, but I also use it on my XP installation and it works just fine.

I have run System File Checker which returned the existence of corrupted files that couldn't be fixed. I have also run a few chkdsks which came back clean. I cleaned my fan out because I figured it may have been an overheating CPU, but if it were then the other OS's should have been affected as well. All my drivers are updated, and as far as I know everything else is up to date as well. I literally have no idea what it could possibly be. Now, with all that said, any thoughts? Suggestions? Your help is appreciated!

Ryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OTDyomama

OTDyomama

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hi soloviola,
I was having terrible freezing problems with Windows 7, ran many diagnostics and antimalware, spyware etc programs with nothing found. I just happened to remember that I had installed
Bitdefender a couple of months ago, I went to Bidefender forums and sure enough, there were similar complaints to mine being attributed to Bitdefender. So I just uninstalled Bitdefender 10 mins ago,
to check if this was the problem. And OMG, with Bitdefender uninstalled all my freezing, glitching, hang up problems are gone!!!!!!!!
I do not know if this is your problem of course, but uninstall takes a couple of mins and if it is not your problem you can just reinstall.
Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users