Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hiren's not allowed?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

I was looking around a few threads and noticed this:

"Please be aware of the following:
Hiren's Boot CD is deemed by BleepingComputer.com management to be illegal due to copyright infringements (illegally distributed Microsoft files as well as a few questionable/illegal applications). Recommendation to use it or instruction on its use is not allowed on the BC forums. "

Is this due to a legal case I'm not aware of? Isn't Hiren's a freeware package that anyone can get?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

Here is Grinler's explanation of why it's not allowed.

Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE/BartPE discs is not allowed

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

I'm not too familiar with what WinPE, or BartPE is exactly, but I assume Hiren's falls into one of these categories?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Yes it does.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

Is this due to a legal case I'm not aware of? Isn't Hiren's a freeware package that anyone can get?

Hiren boots up a mini-version of Windows XP; this so-called PE version (Preinstallation Environment) uses copy-right protected Microsoft files to load the mini-XP environment.
Whats more, Hiren's also contains some questionable/illegally distributed applications.

A PE disk is only legal if its created using a so-called PE builder. The builder does not provide you with the copyright-protected files, but rather copies them from your XP installation disk and incorporates them in the PE build, in which case the disk is legal. For example BartPE and UBCD4Win offer a PE builder.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

Ahhh okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification! :)

(Perhaps I should let my old computer shop know that, shame on them. :P)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users