Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Inspider 5750G occasionally turns its wifi off

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 roushguy

roushguy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:56 AM

Okay, I am using an Acer 5750G, running Win7 64-bit, and have a serious problem. Every once in a while, my laptop simply... stops receiving wi-fi. Entirely. With or without the Fn-F3 combination to turn it on/off. This is always accompanied by slightly corrupted audio in whatever may be playing, and occasionally a small amount of system lag. It first seems to drop my home wi-fi, then all the others on my local list vanish all at once. Plugging in an ethernet cable does NOT fix this, it tells me that I have 'No Internet Connection' through that network, despite it being plugged into the router and being a good cable.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:10 AM

Did you check if your laptop is not overheating or do other devices connect to the router/modem flawlessly?

Tekken

#3 roushguy

roushguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:14 AM

Other devices have no problem connecting to the router, the problem is with my laptop. It simply... stops seeing any connection whatsoever. As for overheating, the hottest I've ever seen it get was 100C, which shut it down immediately, and since then I have taken great pains (not playing any games with requirements even half of what it meets) to keep it from overheating again. It does, however, manage to idle at nearly 60C. I'm worried about the overheating, but I am way more concerned with this new failure to get to any kind of internet without restarting my laptop. I don't know what's causing it, and I really need a fix, because I use it for school.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:20 AM

Having any previous thermal events or overheating would slowly damage computer hardware components. Try posting a snapshot of your computer from here -> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 Have you also tried reinstalling your wifi network adapter?

Tekken

#5 roushguy

roushguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:23 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/2aM4GwluxPuq8KzwcVPF0xx

No I have not, I'm honestly leery of doing so, in case it either doesn't reinstall itself or I otherwise manage to mess it up.

Edited by roushguy, 09 August 2012 - 03:24 AM.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

so maybe you have a bade wifi device in the laptop .
but i would try as suggested by jhayz and uninstall the device and reinstall drivers .if not sure how get help from neighborhood computer geek,every neighborhood has one !

i had same problem with an acer laptop i have here ,i tried reinstalling driver ,same thing ,so i changed the wifi device in the laptop to one i had on hand from my old compag and it worked great ever since ,

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 roushguy

roushguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:56 AM

I don't know exactly how to uninstall/reinstall the drivers, nor do I know how to replace the thing itself. I /do/ have an old Dell laptop I could take apart for a new card, if I absolutely had to, though I'd need a very step-by-step guide on how to do it.

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

i checked acer for newer driver and there is none ,driver date is 1/12/2011 ,and your windows install date is 9 /12/2011

edit : rereading you first post i don't think reinstall the wifi driverwill help ,as it doesnt work when wired !

is the laptop less than 1 yr old ,if so contact Acer they have a great support system

your laptop should still be under warranty ,so i wouldn't remove it if i were you ,the old Dell one likely not fit ,Dell thrives on being different .

to uninstall the driver ,go to start ,right click on Computer go properties .then on the left open Device Manager , hit the + next to network device and you should see Atheros AR5B97 Wireless Network Adapter,double click on it and it should give option to uninstall ,but before you do that you need to download drivers just in case win7 cant find drivers on reboot .
driver found here bottom of the list there are a few different brands in the list yours is the . Wireless LAN Driver (HB95/HB97) for win7 home P 64bit download and save to your download folder for use to reinstall if need be
http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=3475

Edited by caperjac, 09 August 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#9 roushguy

roushguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Reinstalled, if this does not fix it, I will attempt to get in contact with the people who bought it for me to get the warranty

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

good luck

#11 ErwinNH

ErwinNH

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

I have this exact same problem. Whatever application I'm running at the time starts to stutter, sound gets jittery, and the wifi goes out. I usually have to either restart or put it in sleep mode to get the wifi working again. The event is usually accompanied by 100% CPU load. Did you fix your system? Does anyone else have insight on this? I'm running the Acer Aspire 5552 and the network card is the Atheros AR5B97.

Edited by ErwinNH, 09 December 2012 - 07:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users