Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Idea What's Making My Screen Look Like This?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:56 AM

Hi All

Attached is a screen capture of a blank .txt file. As you can see there are lots of blue bits all over it. This is not just seen on .txt files, it appears of all of the open windows. It's just that it's easier to see on a blank, white background.

FYI - I am running Windows Xp Home edition with SP3. I've got 200Gb hard drive with 2Gb RAM. About 6 or 9 months ago I swapped from the motherboard video card to an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX4000 graphics card that I took out of an old machine.

When I swapped over to the NVIDIA I disabled the motherboard video card but now cannot find it again to re-enable it to check to see if it's the NVIDIA that has gone down.

Help and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

Regards

Paul Eamonn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

If you have onboard video from mobo, just remove the card and connect the cable to the video port.

Tekken

#3 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

Hi Jhayz - thank for the reply.

As I said in my initial post, I have disabled the driver of the video from the motherboard. Will just connecting the monitor to the motherboard output restart the motherboard video driver or do I have to do that first somewhere else?
Regards

Paul Eamonn

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

You can enable it through BIOS.

See if the directions here help you

http://www.ehow.com/how_7345928_enable-onboard-vga-chip-bios.html

Your system may not say the exact same thing as what is mentioned in the article because each system is different.

#5 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

Hi QE - thanks for that.

Ok, I've had a look in the BIOS>Advanced>PCI Devices and can see an entry for the NVIDIA card (it's enabled) but I can't see anything about the onboard video card. Any clues as to what to look for?

The list I've got is as follows-

Intel USB controller
Intel USB controller
Intel USB controller
Intel USB controller
Intel USB controller
Intel SATA controller
Intel Audio device
nVidia VGA controller
Broadcom Ethernet
Via USB controller
Via USB controller
Via USB controller

I hope this helps.

Thanks in advance.
Regards

Paul Eamonn

#6 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

BTW - it would appear that this is going to take some time to sort out. I've just realised that the fault wasn't in evidence when I was looking at the monitor just now and nor is it with me now.

So it would seem to be one of those 'intermittent' ones where you don't know if it's fixed until sometime next year when it hasn't happened for a while.

Still, I'm happy for as long as it stays away and I'm even more happy when I know what to do if it comes back!
Regards

Paul Eamonn

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

What is the make/model of your computer? What BIOS system does it use?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users