Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting Router to Switch

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 howster1

howster1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

Hi,

I've looked far and wide for an answer and haven't been lucky, tho' something tells me the solution isn't optimal:

Can a router connect to a switch to gain additional ports? Here's the scenario...

IP line to house, connected to modem, connected to 4-port router, connected to 8-port switch.

Now, each of six rooms in my house has one Cat-5e (RJ-45) jack whose run terminates to the switch. In some of these rooms, I need two wired devices (wireless isn't an option for the devices). Can I use a router to plug into the jack and increase the number of ports in that room to have a functional LAN and WAN? I have read tons of info on plugging switches into routers to increase the number of ports, but not the other way around. Plus, ripping open walls to expand the network isn't feasible either. My worry, which is unfounded, is that would such a connection cause a bottleneck in that location since data is being sent to and from multiple devices via one port on a switch?

My other thought, would be to replace the switch with another router, and have the runs terminate to both routers and then expand the ports in those rooms using additional routers (On a side note, the additional routers in the rooms would be wireless so that I can also expand wi-fi throughout the house for cell phones, etc).

As you can see, the difference between both "thoughts" is the purchase of an additional router (to replace the switch). So, I would like to save money (and time) initially, if possible.

I guess the bottom line here is how does one increase wired ports in one location while maintaining the integrity of the network?

Ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! :wink:

Edited by howster1, 08 August 2012 - 11:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

You only need a router if you need to leave the or separate the network. If all you need is more connections in a given location you use a hub. If there will be more 4 simultanious connections (more than 3 pc's) or large amounts of data transmitted back to the network from that segment the you would use a Switch. A router connects two differnet networks IE a home network.192.168.1.1 to the internet 98.30.10.22. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFEQFjAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Flearningnetwork.cisco.com%2Fservlet%2FJiveServlet%2FpreviewBody%2F2810-102-1-7611%2Fprimch5.pdf&ei=OEcjULepDuqZ0QH7vIDgDg&usg=AFQjCNEFe1ChkYxKSm2yFnshHH4CN0m2Xg'>A chapter from my Cisco ccna training corse explains it MUCH deeper

Edit: to answer your first quesion, yes sort of. If you a referring to a home router you would have the router first then connect additional switches as needed to the routers lan ports (the lan ports on a home router is a type of switch). You can also mix in Wireless acces points as needed.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 09 August 2012 - 12:28 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

All you need is another switch/hub in the rooms as already mentioned. You can also connect a router to these ports for wireless but you would need to set a router up as the following to avoid problems.

-Disable DHCP on 2nd router (one you're placing in the room to "expand")
-Configure router to work as Wireless Access Point Only, sometimes disabling DHCP does this automatically.
-Assign a static IP to the wireless access point this way you can still "manage it" after you make the changes. This IP address should be on the same network as your primary routers...Ex: if your current router uses 192.168.1.1, set the new router (Access Point) to use 192.168.1.254. Use an IP address that a computer would never get (something outside the DHCP range you set in your primary router).
-Connect a cable from the in-room switch to LAN port 1 on the router. Do not use the WAN port.

Once you complete that, it will basically have all devices on the same network (IP information will come from the primary router) but should allow you to use wireless and even use the 3 other LAN ports on the 2nd router as a "switch". You are basically turning a router into a switch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users