Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont start after running Norton Power Eraser

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Leneah

Leneah

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

I am running Windows 7 (64bit) and I did ran norton full system scan. Once completed it said I had a compadibility error and to run the Power Eraser. It finished sucessfully and told me to reboot and when I did it will not start up Windows normally and I can not get it to start in safe mode. When it starts it says there was an error to run the system tools, but they cannot fix it, not even the restore. Then when I try to boot normally, it goes to a blue screen and reboots. Please help I am needing my computer very bad. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:28 AM

Let me ask a malware response team member to assist you

good luck

Mod Edit: Narenxp added to Unbootbles List - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2012 - 07:18 AM.
Edit -Hamluis.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

Hello, lets start with the following.

We Need to Diagnose Your BlueScreen
  • When you boot your machine, press F8 to list the startup options, exactly as you would if you were trying to enter Safe Mode
  • Select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", as shown here:
    Posted Image
  • When your system BSODs, write down the STOP error code, as well as any written out error message back here. The STOP error will always appear, but the message may not. You are looking for this:
    Posted Image
Please post me the error(s).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 Leneah

Leneah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

Thank you so much for helping me with this. I am at work now, and will be home around 4pm PST. I will do what you ask and get back to you ASAP. Thank you again!

#5 Leneah

Leneah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

The stop code is: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000)

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,114 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:27 AM

Please restart your computer and tap the F10 key until the Edit Boot Menu screen comes up. Let me know what is listed there between the brackets ([..... ]).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#7 Leneah

Leneah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

It says [ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /MININT]

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,114 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:27 AM

Please use backspace to remove the /MININT part, then press enter to continue booting. This should get you back into Windows.

Once in Windows, first of all, do the following: click Start > All Programs > Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select "run as administrator".

Type the following and press enter.

bcdedit /set {default} winpe no

You should receive a message that the operation completed successfully.

AFter doing this, let me know how everything is running.

regards, Elise

#9 Leneah

Leneah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

It is working. Thank you soo much. So I know I have viruses on my computer because that is what started this all. My microsoft essential is not getting rid of them. I can get Norton Antivirus through my internet company. Should I try installing Norton Antivirus and make sure not to use the Norton Power eraser or do you recommend something else?

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,114 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

No, installing Norton won't help and personally I would stick with MSSE. :)

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

regards, Elise

#11 Leneah

Leneah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

Here is the log. The second log say not to attach unless requested so I did not attach it at this time.Attached File  DDS.txt   19.82KB   2 downloads

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,114 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:36 AM

Hi again,

COMBOFIX
---------------
Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:
Bleepingcomputer
ForoSpyware
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. (Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive.)
  • Double click on Combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, or if you are running Vista, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Posted Image

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\Combofix.txt in your next reply.

regards, Elise

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,114 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

Are you still there?

regards, Elise

#14 Leneah

Leneah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

I apoligize. I will be running this, this weekend. I work full time, go to school full time and have 5 children and it is finals week. I want to make sure when I do it, I have the time to make sure I do it right. Hopefully tomorrow. Thank you for your patience and sticking with me through this. It is greatly appriciated!!!!

#15 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,114 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:17 AM

No problem at all, please take your time. :)

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users