Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Rid Of Isp's I.e. Logo

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:23 AM

On page 85 of Computeractive mag. #180 in Q&A 'Persistent logo' it states that to return to to the default Windows logo one should go to Start>Run and type in - rundll32iedkcs32.dll,Clear - and click on OK.

I found that Windows does not recognise this. I have accurately copied that instruction as given.

Can anyone see any error in this? The magazine will not respond to this query.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:58 AM

How can I change or add OEM logo and information on my computer?

By default, the General tab (right-click My Computer, or double-click System in Control Panel, or press the +BREAK keys on your keyboard) contains information on the Windows version, processor, memory, registered user and registration identity.

Optional items include the manufacturer and model, a small picture, and a button leading to a separate page of support information.

The information is not held in the registry, but in an old-style .INI file, which can be created in any plain-text editor including Windows Notepad.

This file can have two sections:

The first section, has a section header called [General], and within that section - two entries:

Manufacturer=<text>

Model=<text>

The second section, headed [Support Information], is optional, but if present adds a button with that label to the page. The entries after that heading should be in the form:

Line1=<some text>

Line2=<more text>

Line3=<more text>

and so on. The limit on the number and length of lines seems limited only by the 64 KB general limit on .INI files.

The file should be saved in the %systemroot%\system folder (for Windows 98*Grinler computers) or in %systemroot%\system32 folder (for W2K/XP/2003 computers) as OEMINFO.INI.

The picture is a 256-colour-Windows bitmap (.BMP) file.

Microsoft states that the size should be 96 pixels square when using small fonts in Display Property settings, or 120 square with large fonts.

The file should be saved in the %systemroot%\system folder (for Windows 98*Grinler computers) or in %systemroot%\system32 folder (for W2K/XP/2003 computers) as OEMLOGO.BMP.

No other entry in the .INI file is required, but the latter must exist and have a populated [General] section for the bitmap to be visible in Display Properties.

No reboot is necessary in order for the hack to take place. Press the +BREAK keys and see for yourself.

For example, using this OEMINFO.INI file:

[General] Manufacturer=Self made Computer Model=Zelda K12 [Support Information] Line1=Visit my home page at Line2= Line3=http://www.petri.co.il Line4= Line5=For hundreds of tips, tricks, knowledge base articles and much more! Line6= Line7=You can also contact me by using the following e-mail address: Line8= Line9=daniel@petri.co.il

and this OEMLOGO.BMP picture:

have resulted in this effect:

Pressing the Support Information button will show this text:

Related articles

You might also want to read the following related articles:

Add Administrative Tools Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003

Add Command Prompt Here Shortcut to Windows Explorer

Add Printers and Fax Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003

Add Scanners and Cameras Icon to the Desktop in XP Pro

Add Scheduled Tasks Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003

Add Spell Checking to Internet Explorer

Customize a New XP Installation

Customize Command Prompt in Windows XP/2000/2003

Customize the Places Bar in Office XP

Delete the Recycle Bin Icon from the Desktop in XP/2003

Disable Shared Documents Folder in Windows XP

Microsoft Powertoys Suit

Quickly Search Active Directory from the Desktop

Quickly Share Folders from Desktop

Restore Classic Search in Windows XP

Send To Notepad Shortcut

Shell Enhancements and other Tweaks for Windows XP/2000/2003

Unhide Recycle Bin when Dragging and Dropping Files
http://www.petri.co.il/change_or_add_oem_l...information.htm

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for all that - I hope it won't apply in my case which I see now was not explicity expressed - very sorry about that.

My computer came with Supanet I.E. pre loaded. I want to get rid of the Supanet name appearing at the top of my screen linked to Internet Explorer.

The magazine appeared to give a quick and easy way of doing this but that instruction does not work. I thought there would be a typo which someone could spot. This 'problem' is one I can live with - just wanted to tidy up my screen.

Would your suggestion do the needful in this case?

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:41 AM

rundll32iedkcs32.dll,Clear <--If you typed it like this it's a typo
Have you check that iedkcs32.dll is in your system folder?
If not, extract a copy from your Windows installation media and try
again.

To remove all Internet Explorer branding, follow these steps:
1. Click Start.
2. Click Run.
3. Type

rundll32.exe iedkcs32.dll,Clear

and then click OK.

4. Restart Internet Explorer

Alternative Command
rundll32 iedkcs32.dll,BrandCleanInstallStubs

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:14 PM

raw

Wonderful, it worked. I've noticed that many suggestions given in Computeractive mag don't work and I never get any feedback from them - they are not very good at correcting errors.

I did notice that restarting IE was very slow, I hope that it was a one off.

Thanks again.
PS I didn't get an email notification for your post but I have for others - is there a glitch here?

#6 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:28 PM

raw

Guess what - now that I had to reboot I'm back with supanet I.E.!! How come do you think?

#7 Kruncher

Kruncher

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:24 PM

Try rundll32 iedkcs32.dll,BrandCleanInstallStubs
If that doesn't work, try googling for "remove IE branding".

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:57 PM

Are you saying that IE has something like "Internet Explorer Provided By Supanet" in the Titlebar?

If so, from the "Run" dialogue type "gpedit.msc" (without the quotes) and press <enter>.

Expand "User Configuration->Windows Settings->Internet Explorer Maintenance->Browser User Interface" and open the "Browser Title" value. Uncheck the box and press OK. Close the window.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 13 March 2006 - 05:58 PM.

#9 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:55 AM

Thanks every one for their help.

I repeated the info given by raw and now Supanet has gone, just MS Internet Explorer.

I suppose there isn't actually any real difference but I found that when I changed to AOL from the pre loaded supanet I couldn't access my supanet emails thru supanet.com.

I still can't actually but that's because of looping back to log in but that is another post. I just get them forwarded by ePrompter or mail2 web.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:04 PM

You should still be able to access them if they are pop3 accounts by creating the proper settings in your accounts.

If you use Outlook use the wizard to set them up.
Any other email client - tools/accounts/ highlight the account, click properties. set settings accordingly to access their pop3 servers (both mail and smtp).

If you have a problem, or do not know what the settings should be, call their support and they should walk you through it.

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 March 2006 - 01:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users