Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't turn off auto-arrange in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Seigneuray

Eric Seigneuray

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

About a month and a half ago, I noticed all my desktop icons were on the left side of the screen in alphabetical order. Turning Auto-arrange off or on does nothing. As soon as I refresh or restart my PC, the icons revert back to the auro-arrange display. We have four user on my PC and oddly enough only my account (which is the admin - not sure if that matters) has the problem. I've read a number of old posts (1-2 years old) that discuss accessing the registry. I'm fairly adept with this thing but I'm not looking to do open heart surgery. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Hi -
If you Right click on an open (vacant) area of your screen, and Point to Arrange Icons By what items do you see ticked ??
Are any ticked, all ticked or just a few -

Thank You -

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:22 AM

that use to happen to me ,still does actually ,couldn't find a fix [but i do think there is a registry fix for it out there somewhere on the net ],so i became a neat freak ,and now i love the way my icons look .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 toelli

toelli

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

Im the founder of the registry fix for this problem, iv collected information and guide here:
http://gravitypoint.se/windows-7-desktop-auto-arrange-solution/

Hope it helps other people!

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:02 AM

You have posted some wrong information

This bug can almost always be traced back to the user runing a trojan/virus scan and in the attempt to fix any found problems the scanner actually damages your user profile settings, leaving you with this problem.

Scanner doesnt do anything.This key is created by zero access rootkit.Most of the people who have this issue are infected by zero access :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users