Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Servers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Droid86

Droid86

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Bleeping Computer users:

I am currently in the middle of virtualizing our servers at work. Approximately half of the work has been done, just data transfers and profile migration to do. I am moving a physical server that is setup for terminal services and moving it to a virtual server that will be used for the same thing. I have never switched servers before and would like some help/info on switching data over.

Question:

If the old server (physical) is still on and being used, can I copy, paste all data from C$ to the new server (virtual) C$? Will I run into any problems?

I have migrated all terminal server users.

Sorry if I am vague, I'm new to this posting stuff, and new to this job. Please let me know if I can assist with any information.

Thanks in advance!

Droid86

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

What software will you be using to host your virtual servers with?

#3 Droid86

Droid86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

What software will you be using to host your virtual servers with?

VMWare-Vsphere Client, that is the management program that controls the hosts and instances.

I have already copied data, I didn't run into any problems. I just did it after hours so that I wouldn't have down time if I did have a problem. Thanks anyway.

#4 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

Why not try to use some tools from VMWare to convert your server from physical to virtual? I will create an exact copy of the server with all shares, data, profiles and such. You can get the tool => HERE

Edited by Firefoxthebomb, 14 August 2012 - 05:12 PM.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users