Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Game Maker Safe From Viruses

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bulldog_Boy

Bulldog_Boy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 02:58 AM

http://games.byond.com/start/dm.html

Can someone tell me if it is safe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bulldog_Boy

Bulldog_Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 03:47 AM

I was gonna use a program called playerworlds but i heard it has spyware

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:18 AM

I don't see anything negative about BYOND; it is a kind of game programming language that allows you to make your own games. I note it is available for downloading at CNet, which usually exercises some care about what they make available as far as malware is concerned.
Nor could I find anything negative about Playerworlds, for that matter.

Perhaps the issue is that some of the games created by other people who have used either engine may contain spyware.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Bulldog_Boy

Bulldog_Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

So is it safe?

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:02 AM

My research did not find anything to indicate either program had malware. Naturally, after downloading any application or programme you are not sure about, scanning it with your resident AV and one or two anti-spyware applications before you install it is certainly a best practice.

Since I have not installed or used either, I cannot positively say either is safe, but an absence of negative comments or articles on the Internet would tend to indicate you are safe using either programme. This does NOT apply to any games you might download created with either of these programmes.

Regards,
John

#6 MatreX

MatreX

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:23 PM

player worlds has been around for a looong time..... the version 1.4.2 has been the "latest" version for a looong time..... ive never heard of byon so im going to go chec it out
Current Sig:
Posted Image

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:29 PM

I would be interested in your comments about Byond once you play around with it. How does it compare, for example, with playerworlds?
Cheers,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users