Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grub 2 issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:43 AM

I installed Fedora 17 64 bit as a dual boot with Windows Vista 32 bit. The computer is an eMachine ET1161-07 (with a nVidia 6150 SE graphics card) which does supportt 64 bit. Fedora works fine but when I reboot the computer I get some brief message and then a dancing "Input not supported" across the screen. I'll hit enter and then Fedora boots up, but no Vista, and yes there may be times when I will need it. I know the Vista partition is there because I can see it when I check the disk with Fedora.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 searchme2

searchme2

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:31 PM

Hi. I see it's been 4 days and no one replied. Sorry about that. Maybe I can help.

I'm thinking what's happening is the grub menu screen may be using a resolution that the monitor does not support. The "Input not supported" moving across the screen is most likely a monitor message, not a system message. some monitors may say "Input Signal Out of Range".

Boot up Fedora and using the package manager look for and install Startup Manager. On the Advanced tab in Startup Manager change grub's resolution to something smaller than your monitor supports (even try something smaller like 800x600, for grub that should be good) then restart and see if that helps.

I've never had that trouble with grub even using Fedora but I guess it happens no matter what distro is used. It must happen with certain monitors or even certain graphics cards. Startup Manager is probably the easiest way to fix this problem although there are other ways. Let us know how it goes.

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

It didn't go, just for the record. There was no "Startup Manager" to be found anywhere. Some one made a Grub 2 editor for KDE, and after all the trouble of switching to KDE it did nothing to fix my problem.

There was also some command line tools with "mkconfig" or something like that. After testing out a few resolutions and bit depths it dawned on me that this could take a while. There are at least a couple of dozen combinations of the two, and I didn't feel like stressing out my hard drive booting and rebooting just to look for the right one.

Edited by Bezukhov, 14 August 2012 - 10:57 PM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users