Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm new here

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TechnoMigraine

TechnoMigraine

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hello, there, I'm new here... and just introducing myself.

I'm not exactly a 'techie' person; I'm just blessed with a natural talent for messing up my own computers, so I probably end up having to tinker with them more often than the average person might. Until yesterday, I've been totally OFFLINE for the past 7 months. My new computer (not this computer) was infected with a rootkit last November, and after (countless) hours of trying (unsuccessfully) to fix it myself... I had something of a melt down, disconnected my internet service, and gave myself an open-ended vacation from technology entirely. It was so bad, that I didn't even miss being online for quite some time. That 'primitive lifestyle' without regular internet access lasted roughly until the end of June, when our area was impacted by one of the Colorado 'mega-wildfires'. I spent a couple weeks under pre-evacuation orders, without much access to real-time information... it really made me appreciate how important this connection to the outside world really can be. And so, now that my 'technology vacation'is officially over, here I sit with the same messed up computer(s)!

It's probably humorous, in a 'lame' sort of way; the computer I'm using at the moment (affectionately known as 'The Dinosaur') is something I pieced together with a bunch of 'retired' computer parts that I'd boxed up for the recycling center ages ago. My ultimate objective is to get rid of the annoying rootkit that's on my 'new' computer, but process of doing that has so far been pretty complicated. (I'll save the elaborations for a future post) Anyway, I found this forum while researching 'secure shredding' options, and possible partitioning strategies. While the 'non-techie' girl in me, *believes* that I might be able to figure this out by myself... the rest of me seems to 'know better', so I'm not quite ready to take that plunge just yet. I'm sure there are much faster ways to sort all this out, but I'm more likely to make mistakes when I rush. At this point, I'm just setting up my account here, and introducing myself in advance. I can access this forum from my so-called smart phone if I need to... but it's not the fastest way to type, which is how the dinosaur came to be resurrected in the first place. I'm just glad that forums like this exist, or I wouldn't have a clue where to begin... so, thanks for providing a site where people can go to get some help!

Leslie in Colorado :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Hello and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer and Thanks for joining us here.

We look forward to your involvement at BC.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the Tutorials section.

How to use the Bleeping Computer Discussion Forums

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users