Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New hard drive install

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cowboys2006

cowboys2006

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

Ok here is what I want to do. My computers hard drive is going dead that it needs a replacement hd. Its on its last leg lol. Anyways I was reading here about back ups. My computer has a western digital. And the new drive a bought is a Seagate drive. I wanted to just install my hd that I just bought and install the op system on it but the thing is that I don't have the discs to do it. I read on here on the forum that western has a clone drive software. My question is would it work with a different drive brand? Also if it does work once everything gets transfered clone. Can I just uninstall the bad hd and use this new one? My old drive has bad sectors would that copy over? I would like to save everything or at least the op system but like I said I don't have the disc.

Can any one give any suggestions on this on what I could do. Hopefully someone can answer my questions.

Thank you in advance. This site has never failed my on the issues I had in the past.

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2012 - 03:49 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hi,

Both Seagate and Western Digital offers a very similar software to clone both are limited versions of Acronis True Image.

- Seagate DiscWizard
- Acronis True Image WD Edition

Both of those programs will only work if a disk from the brand selected is present.
I truly recommend that you create a Rescue Disk after installing the program and do the cloning booting using the Rescue Disk.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 cowboys2006

cowboys2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

I the computer doesn't give me the option to do a rescue disk at all. My question is then as long as I ha e both install the western and the Seagate whatever software I use it will work?

Thanks

#4 cowboys2006

cowboys2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

Ok I tired doing the cloning but it wont clone it it gives me an error saying that file system error is found and then gibes a code 458,777 file record corrupted. Any ideas?

Thanks

#5 cowboys2006

cowboys2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

i was not able to do a clone of the disk due to bad sectors. Is there a work around of it? to get it copy the disk?

any help would be great

thank you.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,992 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Hi,

Its seems that the source disk have some errors, try running Check Disk from a Command Prompt running as Administrator if you are on Windows 7.
chkdsk /f /x c:

After this command answer Yes to do the Check on boot and Reboot the computer.

If your files are on bad sectors the copy will fail and will be very difficult to accomplish doing the clone because some files need to be skipped during the copy and the result will be probably a non-working OS on the new HDD.

Try cloning again maybe you have lucky and the bad sectors are already marked and they are not used to store your data.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#7 cowboys2006

cowboys2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

I tried that too n nothing at all I guess I am sol. What I did instead of messing around with it just installed a use ops from my old laptop that I no longer use. But having a hard time finding the drivers for the eternet controller.

Unless there's is other options I could wipe it off and try to do the cloning again.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

if the hard drive is going bad, it may be difficult to clone it properly. Acronis is good, but sometimes it may help to try a different software. Try Clonezilla Its what I use. If all else fails, and you dont do much directX gaming, you can install a linux variant such as linuxMint or Ubuntu on the new hard drive until you can afford to purchase a new copy of windows.

On a side note, do you have a windows license? Depending on how old it is, if you have the license, you may be able to contact the computer manufacturer and have them send you recovery discs for a small fee.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 cowboys2006

cowboys2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

i want to thank everyone for the help regarding this issue i was able to finally copy the disk i dont know how it did it but it did. lol its now working like a charm thank you

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,992 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

i want to thank everyone for the help regarding this issue i was able to finally copy the disk i dont know how it did it but it did. lol its now working like a charm thank you

Hi,

Can you tell us what tool did you use after all?

___
Rui

#11 SophiaChristchurch

SophiaChristchurch

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

Ok here is what I want to do. My computers hard drive is going dead that it needs a replacement hd. Its on its last leg lol. Anyways I was reading here about back ups. My computer has a western digital. And the new drive a bought is a Seagate drive. I wanted to just install my hd that I just bought and install the op system on it but the thing is that I don't have the discs to do it. I read on here on the forum that western has a clone drive software. My question is would it work with a different drive brand? Also if it does work once everything gets transfered clone. Can I just uninstall the bad hd and use this new one? My old drive has bad sectors would that copy over? I would like to save everything or at least the op system but like I said I don't have the disc.

Can any one give any suggestions on this on what I could do. Hopefully someone can answer my questions.

Thank you in advance. This site has never failed my on the issues I had in the past.

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

It is best if you use the new HD that you have so that you won't have bigger issues to encounter in the future, As for your old hard drive you can still have it cleaned or scanned...

#12 cowboys2006

cowboys2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

Sorry for the long wait I been real busy I used the one from Seagate wizard disk something like that can really remember the name of it I am trying to do it from memory. Since I am using my cell right now to submit the reply. But yeah I kept on trying it and some how it worked it cloned the disk. I guess it was luck lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users