Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

antivirus system suggestion for small school

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stillwaters

stillwaters

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hi!

N00b Alert (I recently graduated with an associate degree in IT and several certs, including A+, MCTS in Windows 7 and Server 2008 Active Directory, and CCNA, but I have very little real world experience.) I send my son to a small private school, and they've been asking me for IT help in exchange for tuition reductions. They have two buildings with one Windows Server 2008 Server in each building, and around 25 workstations including lab computers, faculty, and administrative. They desperately need an antivirus solution, right now they are using free antiviruses on the workstations, and they won't update without an administrative login. If anyone has any advice for me I'd appreciate it very much. Also, they are on a very limited budget so they can't spend more than a couple hundred dollars.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

Hi stillwaters :)

Sorry to break this to you, but I don't think you'll find anything less then $500. Retail security software sell for minimum of $20 which adds up to $500 based on the quantity you need. I don't know anything about corporate/business licensing so that doesn't mean you may not be able to get a discount. I'd first try calling around to different vendor's like Sophos, Symantec etc and try and get a quote.

Edited by DarkSnake-Kobra, 07 August 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#3 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

Since they are a school, check out techsoup.org. They need to provide some information and paperwork to get their membership for the site (basically just need to prove they are a 501©(3) organization). But, if they qualify, they can get software/hardware at extremely cheap prices. For example, Symantec Endpoint Protection is only $4 per license. There are some restrictions on how much can be purchased within a certain time period. Worth having a look at though.

Edited by The_Outkast, 08 August 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#4 stillwaters

stillwaters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

I appreciate the advice, and I'm looking into it.

#5 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Once you get that done, I recommend Sophos Endpoint Security.

We use it here at my workplace and it does a great job. They have an administration console and can install and update any computer even if they do not have admin rights. You can do it all from the console and no need to visit the workstation.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#6 stillwaters

stillwaters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

It looks like we're going with Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition from Techsoup. I installed the trial version on five machines yesterday to test, and if all goes well we'll move forward. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Outkast!

#7 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

You're welcome. Hope everything works out well.

#8 Sarah Gates

Sarah Gates

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

If its for a School then you want something corporate, and also may I ask what kind of firewall your using? as with schools, and businesses the best way of blocking virus's, attacks, and malware is to add more security layers to your setup, Take a look at an Symantec Gateway Security 5300 Firewall, which helps against viruses, malware and lots more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users