Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Reboots

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zimman101

Zimman101

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Been having some issues with my PC for the past few months now, and even after all of this time I have no idea what is wrong. Basically, my PC randomly restarts, or at least tries to. I will be doing something, my monitor will go black and I will hear my tower fans crank up like it does when starting. Sometimes it loads, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't I just turn it off for 10 seconds, then it usually loads fine.

At first, I was hoping it was a software issue. My hard drive needed to be replaced anyways, so I upgraded that and did a fresh install of Windows 7. This did nothing. It seems like it is a hardware issue, but what is causing it... I am completely loss on.

There is no real rhyme or reason as to why it reboots. Last night I went to turn it on, and within 5 minutes it rebooted. 5-10 minutes after that again. After the second reboot I was able to play a game with no issues for 2 hours. Lately it has been doing it more while I am gaming, but I have had it happen when I was surfing the web, or even left the computer idle.

Posted Image

This is after an hour of gaming. Most of my parts can be seen in that screen. My GPU looks slightly high, but it seems like that is normal for the X2s. Last night's first crash was as I loaded a map for TF2. I checked my temp on the GPU right before and it was at 75, so I don't think overheating is a problem. I also did BSOD on that crash, and got the error seen in the second picture. This is the first time I've seen this. IF I get a BSOD, it usually does not specify an error. I do have the computer to NOT automatically restart upon failure, but its almost as if it is not even recognizing that it is failing, and I get no BSOD.

Posted Image

After some googling it looks like that error may be in relation to my video card, but there are also people saying that replacing the card did not work.

I really am lost. I can't figure out what is causing it and repeat it. I left it on two days, watched a 4 hour video, played games without having issues but there are the random times where I can't do anything. Looking for any tips or suggestions. I am thinking it is my PSU or video card, but I guess it really could be anything. PSU is a 750 watt so the power should be enough. Everything is about 3 years old on the system except the hard drive now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zimman101

Zimman101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

Specs

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB Cache 1333MHz FSB
Power Supply: Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Graphics Processor: Single 2GB GDDR5 ATI® Radeon® HD 4870 X2 – Dual GPU Technology
Memory: 4GB« Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 2048MB
Motherboard: nForce 750i SLI Motherboard
Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio

If you need anything else let me know. I was going to try and replace my current video card with a cheaper one my friend is letting my borrow, but I won't really know if it worked or not due to how random this issue is.

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

The *** STOP: 0x0000007E (C0000005, , , ) is interesting!

Let's collect some more information: I'll have a look at it and help you try to resolve the problem.

:step1: Please follow the instructions: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions - Windows 8, 7 & Vista

(Note: When you run BSOD_Windows7_Vista_v2.64_jcgriff2_.exe, it will also run autoruns.exe ... and both need to be in the Documents folder!)
... with one exception to the following line under Step 4:
  • "Create a new thread HERE and attach the file(s)."
The BC forums will allow a total attachment size of only 512 kb (and what you need to attach will exceed this limit).
  • Please upload the zip file to a file sharing website of your choice and and post a link to it in this thread so that we can access your uploaded zip file.
See the suggestions in the following links for recommendations on file sharing websites:
  • http://lifehacker.com/388284/best-online-file-sharing-services
  • http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/15-great-free-online-file-sharing-alternatives/
  • http://www.smashingapps.com/2008/08/28/5-best-free-file-hosting-services-to-store-your-files.html

I can recommend Posted Image: Also suitable is Posted Image

:step2: Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.
  • It is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.

:step3: Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
  • Checkmark the following checkboxes:
    • List Installed Programs
  • Click Go.
    When the scan is finished, a text file will open in a Notepad window.
  • Copy the entire contents of the Notepad window, and paste in your reply.
    (Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.)

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 Zimman101

Zimman101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

Working on the other items, however I crashed today and windows came back with the following Alert in the actions center.

Your power management system is missing a driver.

Follow these steps to solve this problem:

Click to download the driver from the ASUSTeK Computer Incorporated website

Download and extract the driver files

Click Save or Save as, and then save the file to your desktop. If you can’t choose where to save the file, you’ll need to find it and copy it to your desktop. When you download files, most web browsers save them to the Downloads folder on your computer.

To extract the contents of the compressed folder, right-click the folder you saved to the desktop, click Extract All or Extract Here, and then follow the instructions.

Double-click the extracted folder to view its contents.

Note
If the folder contains a readme file, release notes or installation instructions, we recommend you read that information before starting the installation.

Install the driver

To start the installation, double-click the install file. This file will be identified as either an Application or a Windows Installer Package file in the Type column to the right of the file name.

Follow the steps in the installation wizard. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Additional information

The model name of your power management system is ASUS Cool 'n' Quiet.

#5 Zimman101

Zimman101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

Speccy Published - http://speccy.piriform.com/results/zNt8JBNNbJMNc2HhL0cuoaS

BSOD file - https://www.box.com/s/f664799e60f941a8a4df

Running Mini now

#6 Zimman101

Zimman101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

MiniToolBox - Near nothing due to fresh HDD

MiniToolBox by Farbar Version: 23-07-2012
Ran by Owner (administrator) on 08-08-2012 at 18:34:54
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

7-zip v9.20 (Version: v9.20)
Adobe AIR (Version: 3.3.0.3670)
Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX (Version: 11.3.300.257)
Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin (Version: 11.3.300.268)
Adobe Reader X (10.1.3) (Version: 10.1.3)
Adobe Shockwave Player 11.6 (Version: 11.6.5.635)
Diablo III (Version: 1.0.3.10235)
Google Chrome (Version: 21.0.1180.60)
Hi-Rez Studios Authenticate and Update Service (Version: 3.0.0.0)
Java Auto Updater (Version: 2.0.7.1)
Java™ 6 Update 33 (Version: 6.0.330)
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012 (Version: 12.0.0.374)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Version: 4.0.30319)
Microsoft Silverlight (Version: 5.1.10411.0)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17 (Version: 9.0.30729)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 (Version: 9.0.30729.6161)
NirSoft BlueScreenView
Speccy (Version: 1.17)
Steam (Version: 1.0.0.0)
swMSM (Version: 12.0.0.1)
Team Fortress 2
Tribes: Ascend
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2468871) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2533523) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2600217) (Version: 1)

**** End of log ****

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

Thank you: I have all the information on my computer now and will get back to you when I have reviewed it.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users