Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell 435MT OS reinstall issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Andy LeBlanc

Andy LeBlanc

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hello,

This is my first post to this site, but I've been reading for quite some time. Hopefully someone will know what's going on here.

I've got a Dell 435MT, it's the Core i-7, 6GB RAM, 3450HD Raedon video card.
I'm having a problem with a fresh install of windows 7 x64.
I've tried this with both professional, and home premium.

Here is what happens.

1.) Boot to CD follow prompts, choose "custom" for installation.
2.) Choose primary partition
3.) Click Install.
4.) the machine works, and reboots once, then comes back for the "completing installation" portion.
5.) At some point here, the monitor goes dark (and into powersave mode)and shortly thereafter will reboot.
6.) From here, when the machine comes back on, I see the "starting windows" screen, and then the monitor will go dark again (into powersave).

There are no further reboots after this, the machine just sits there. Powered on, and not responding.
Has anyone else seen this issue for this particular setup? Is there a known driver issue with this machine?
Any input is appreciated!

Thanks
Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

Hi,

Any changes to the hardware configuration lately? More ram, etc. ?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

What media are being used for the attempted install?

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/435MT/en/SG/sg_en.pdf , page 42 covers the options using Dell media.

What's the reason for the reinstall effort?

Did you check the functional status of the hard drive...before beginning your efforts? Did you run the Dell Diagnostics package?

Louis

#4 Andy LeBlanc

Andy LeBlanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

I'm not using Dell Media, I'm using my own MSDN supplied ISO's burnt to DVD. I've tried a couple of different burnt copies to make sure it wasn't a problem with the disk.

I needed to reinstall to get Windows 7 Pro on the machine (It started as Win7 Home) and I wanted to do a clean install.

The hard drive has been functioning with no problems for the past month of use. I have run dell diagnostics from boot and they all come back clean.

To answer the first reply, I removed a secondary HDD is the only change made.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

If you are using a created partition...you might try it with just free space. I don't know if your disks format as part of the install process, but I suspect that they do. Trying to install into a created partition may just gum up the works.

Louis

#6 Andy LeBlanc

Andy LeBlanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

While I do appreciate the speculation, and I certainly don't mean to be rude, I'm not looking for "read the manual" or "it might be a drive formatting issue" answers.
I've installed windows 7 on a few dozen machines, and I've never seen anything like this. If anyone has any specific experience with this problem, I feel like
I've covered all the basic possible problems.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

Hi,

In your case i would test the memory using memtest86 and i have to agree with Louis some times its best to remove all the partitions on the HDD and let the windows installer do the work.
The other day i saw a windows installation failing exactly because of the existing partitions.

Edited by Rui Paz, 09 August 2012 - 12:54 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#8 Andy LeBlanc

Andy LeBlanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

I found the issue.

It was this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/blank-screen-after-windows-7-x64-installs/c69206ae-14c7-47d2-a44b-7fadf179ad9a

Apparently, don't use DVI cables when setting up windows...

Thanks for the input guys.

A

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

Glad you solved it, feedback appreciated...happy computing :).

Louis

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Your problem its probably related with the ATI card and the DVI because i have done installations of windows 7 x64 with DVI video without any problem.

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2012 - 01:35 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users