Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wont stay on longer than 1 minute unless in Bios or Memtest

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Gillespie

Josh Gillespie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

I have an emachines pc I am trying to repair.

I have tested the memory by running memtest on both DIMMS all checked out good didnt reboot, tested power supply and swapped with a new one, removed all pci cards, detached the hard drive, detached the usb ports.

With the hard drive attached windows will not boot past the Loading Windows screen I have a BSOD 0000007b error.
It will also not boot to Repair Windows nor will it boot to a Vista CD. It always crashes at Loading Windows about 1 minute in.

With the hard drive detached I have tried booting Hirens Boot cd, it will get to the Tools selection screen and shut down after about a minute.
If I go into bios and let the computer sit it will not shut down, all settings and temperatures look good, the cpu fan is working.

To sum things up, if the computer is not in bios, no matter what I do it will power down after 1 minute.

Im leaning towards a CPU, motherboard failure. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 07 August 2012 - 12:58 PM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

The error you mention means the system is having trouble accessing the hd - either because the drive is bad or there is a problem with the cables. You should, however, be able to boot to a cd. Please check to make sure the optical drive is the first device in the bios boot order.

#3 Josh Gillespie

Josh Gillespie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

The error you mention means the system is having trouble accessing the hd - either because the drive is bad or there is a problem with the cables. You should, however, be able to boot to a cd. Please check to make sure the optical drive is the first device in the bios boot order.

I can boot to the optical drive. If I use a memory diagnostic boot disk it works perfect, but if i use a windows boot disk, Hirens Boot Disk, or Knoppix it starts to load the boot disks and then crashes after 1 minute. Hirens boot disk will let me get to the Tools Selection Screen but then crashes after a minute or so. This even happens if the hard drive is disconnected.

I have tested the hard drive, swapped sata cables, power cables, IDE cables, optical drives and still the problem occurs.

To alleviate any doubt I have installed a new hard drive and new sata cable. Same issue occurs

Edited by Josh Gillespie, 07 August 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

I have tested the memory by running memtest on both DIMMS all checked out good didnt reboot ...

Just how well have you tested the memory?
  • What exactly did you use to run the test?
  • How long did you allow the test to run?
Normally, at least 7 full passes is recommended for any degree of reliability, but the test should be allowed to run for 24 hours to have confidence in the result being reliable. There should be no errors.
  • I will include below, my prepared instructions for testing memory.
From what you have posted, it would seem that bad memory is the most likely culprit for failure to boot (and load) successfully the several CDs. (All the CDs can't be bad!)

You wrote: "With the hard drive attached windows will not boot past the Loading Windows screen I have a BSOD 0000007b error."
The STOP 0x7B error when attempting to boot to Windows (on the hard drive) can have a number of causes and does not necessarily mean that the hard drive is bad: It is not due to bad memory though.
  • Before concerning ourselves with the STOP 0x7B error, let's get the memory checked properly and be able to boot successfully with Windows or Linux CDs.
=========================================================

Test the memory (RAM).
  • Run memtest86+ for a minimum of 24 hours for a reliable result if no errors are reported before-hand.
Memory needs to be tested outside of Windows, so memtest86+ is run from a bootable CD.

:step1: To make a bootable CD with memtest86+:
  • Extract the downloaded zip file:
    • Right-click on the zip file and choose Extract all. (Windows XP ... other Windows versions may have different wording.)
      The contents of the zip file (the .ISO image file) will be extracted to a folder in the same location as your zip file.
  • Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
    • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
  • When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step2: Boot from the newly created CD.
  • You may need to configure BIOS or the Boot Menu to boot first from the CD.
  • memtest86+ will begin running automatically: You need do nothing else at this time.
  • Allow memtest86+ to run un-interrupted.
See the screenshots in this informative link: Diagnose with Memtest86+

There MUST be NO errors what-so-ever:
  • If you see an error, stop the test.
  • Then proceed to test each stick of RAM separately to sort the good from the bad.
A minimum test for some confidence in the result, should be 7 full passes (each "pass" is a series of different types of tests), with NO errors.
  • Allow memtest86+ to run for 24 hours for maximum confidence in the test result.
memtest86+ will continue running until you stop it:
  • Press the <ESCAPE> key to re-boot the computer, removing the memtest86+ CD.
Reference: Overclockers forums Memtest86+ Guide/How To's
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152
===============================================================

Please be aware of the following:
Hiren's Boot CD is deemed by BleepingComputer.com management to be illegal due to copyright infringements (illegally distributed Microsoft files as well as a few questionable/illegal applications). Recommendation to use it or instruction on its use is not allowed on the BC forums.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 Josh Gillespie

Josh Gillespie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

I have swapped the memory for brand new sticks and tried different sticks of memory in each memory slot but I will try running memtest longer I only ran it for around an hour. I do agree it does sound like a memory problem, possibly both slots are failing, but because of the fact that I had the same results in both slots with new RAM I figured it was the mobo or cpu.

Just ran the test again. Results ;

*** PASS COMPLETE NO ERRORS DETECTED ***

Have ran this on memory in both slots, 4 different brands of memory, all passed with no errors. Computer shutdown problem still continues

Thanks for the info on Hiren's I had no idea it was illegal software!

Edited by Josh Gillespie, 09 August 2012 - 09:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users