Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want To Get Rid Of Some Things!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kwboom

kwboom

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:24 PM

Hi there I have always formatted my computers about once a year......just to keep them clean.......

But now I have bought a HP and it had Windows XP Home installed from the factory and I have no disk for XP.

There is alot of things that HP has installed on the computer that I really don't want and NEVER use and I think the best way to get rid of them is just to format and FDisk the drive and install Windows clean...

You can make recovery disks from a program installed from HP but it also saves all the programs that I don't want..........

Is there anyway to just make a windows backup install disk from the ""1386"" folder that should have all the things to install windows because that is where all the drivers and windows info is kept ....... right or wrong....

Last ?? what is the best way to format the hard drive........can I use the boot floppy from my win 98 SE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:39 PM

Yes you can.
You sure need to burn the recovery CD's should something go wrong though.

Compliments or Michael Stevens MS-MVP
See:
Scroll down till you find this section:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

A lot of people appear to be unaware of the fact that you do NOT need the 4 or 5 setup disks in order to install Windows 2000 and XP. A common Win98 boot disk such as the Boot Disk Essentials diskette below can be used to install these OS's. This is what the Win XP System Setup Disk above does.

Here's how to do it:

Start the computer with your chosen boot disk.
Change to the cd rom drive.
Go into the \i386 directory on the cd rom.
Run WINNT.EXE to begin the install process.
The above was copied from Dr. D's web site.

If a bootdisk other than the essentials is used, smartdrv.exe must be added and loaded manually before running WINNT.EXE

See:
http://www.easydesksoftware.com/I386.htm

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:41 AM

Did you get a recovery disk from HP?

If not, the recovery disk is probably on a partition on your computer accessed before Windows starts.

Watch carefully as your computer begins to boot and enter "setup".

See if there is a choice for reinstallation of Windows there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users