Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix stuck after stage 49

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Killer_Wolf

Killer_Wolf

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:17 AM

Hi, I am using combofix under the instruction of a malware removal expert from malwarebyte forum. But my ComboFix seems to be stuck after completing stage 49 for more than an hour now. I have turn down malwarebyte and windows defender but I still can't seems to get it through stage 50. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Also, when I download my copy of combofix, I downloaded into my download folder and then cut and pasted it back on desktop. I am not sure if that's what halting it from completing the scan, but just to be sure.

I am using Window 7 btw.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

Hi, I am using combofix under the instruction of a malware removal expert from malwarebyte forum.

Please ask for help in your topic in malwarebytes forum.Expert assisting you should help.

good luck

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

To add to what narenxp said.

If you are receiving assistance from a trained Helper on another site, you should refrain from asking for help here or anywhere else. Further, following advice outside of that thread may cause confusion for the Helper who is assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

If you followed any other advice already, please ensure you inform the Helper who is already providing you with assistance.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 jobab

jobab

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

i have this issue today at the lab ...

the solution is to press ctrl+alt+del when you see it hangs on stage 49
then find in the task manger a procces that start name with "CFXXXX" (THE XXX ARE NUMBERS) CLOSE/END THIS PROCCES
and ComboFix will continue to stage 50 as it shuld be.

hope this will help someone

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

Welcome to BC jobab

There are circumstances ComboFix will hang, crash or stall at various stages due to malware interference, failure to disable other real-time protection tools or the presence of CD Emulators (Daemon Tools, Alchohol 120%, Astroburn, AnyDVD) so that it does not complete successfully. Also, depending on how badly a system is infected, ComboFix may take longer to complete its routine than it normally does or fail to run properly. While that is not normal behavior, it is not unusual.

Terminating instances of CF*****.3XE processes in task manager is one solution but there are other related process which in some cases may need to be terminated as well. In our replies to Killer_Wolf we did not provide specific instructions because he was already receiving assistance from a trained Helper who knows this information. When folks are receiving such assistance we do not interfere for the reasons cited in my previous reply.

BTW, anyone reading this topic should also read: ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 jobab

jobab

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

hi quietman7

in my point of view: as i see the log after doing the trick to cpmplete the CF after stage 49 that is stuck on
i got think the problam with this stage (49) was too long PATHs in the file system .. like folders on the desktop with deep long path...
after we move all the suspected problematic directoris to the root of c: and then run CF Agein it run completly whitout any problam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users